Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brendan Rice 538 posts 1099 karma points
    Oct 05, 2010 @ 12:51
    Brendan Rice

Can a member have multiple member types?

I assume they can't am I right?

If so what is the best approach to convert a member from one member type to another?

B

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Oct 05, 2010 @ 12:59
    Aaron Powell

You can't, members have the same underlying design as documents. Why do you want multiple member types per member? Maybe you can use member roles to solve it.

Oct 05, 2010 @ 13:04
    Brendan Rice

Cheers Slace that is what I thought.  One of the member types has encrypted information in it (subscribers and volunteers with volunteers holding personal info).

What is the best way to do a conversion between member types and what is the process?

Oct 05, 2010 @ 13:20
    Aaron Powell

Wouldn't a custom data type be able to hold the data you require?

If you really want to achieve it you need to programmatically delete and  then recreate the member with a different member type each time. That could have problems with maintaining if the member is logged in or not.

Oct 05, 2010 @ 13:38
    Brendan Rice

The code wasn't wrote by me so I am just trying to get it working. The way this is implemented is:

1. We have subscriber (legacy) & volunteer Member Types (MT)
    2. We have subscriber group and volunteer group Member Groups
    3. Subscriber (MT) doesn't have any extra required properties other than the default
    4. Volunteer (MT) has a couple of properties that need encrypted, we have a custom datatype for this but does it not only apply to the admin section?

When I looked at this originally I was going to make the subscriber (MT) have the extra properties and I even created a custom data type that done the encrypt/decrypting.  Does this sound about right?

Thanks again for the help.

Oct 05, 2010 @ 13:39
    Brendan Rice

On a side not how do you get the member type from a member?

Oct 05, 2010 @ 14:16
    Aaron Powell

The only reason to have different member types would be so that you can have drastically different properties between each member and then roles to havedifferent operations per user.

ASP.Net's membership model isn't designed to have multiple profiles (member types), at least not quite the way we need it to use it. Roles are much better suited to that task.

For the standard Umbraco API you can get the member type from a member's ContentType property.

Oct 05, 2010 @ 15:00
    Brendan Rice

Thanks Slace

• Murray Roke 503 posts 966 karma points c-trib
    May 27, 2014 @ 04:45
    Murray Roke

Given that you can't have a member of 2 types, actually creating multiple member types seems to be a trap to avoid.
    As soon as you have two member types you have the possibility of a person being both.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft