Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• manuelpedrera 18 posts 38 karma points
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:17
    manuelpedrera

Webservices - How to

Hi,

First of all I don't know if this is the right section to post, please move the thread if necessary.

In my project, I want to insert, modify and delete nodes from a Flash movie, so I think the WebService approach is the one which suits better. If not, please tell me, because I'm a newbie with umbraco (also a PHP guy into a .NET world).

So I've enabled webservices in umbracoSettings.config, downloaded the corresponding dll file from another thread (because it was missing in the initial umbraco download) and now I can browse the /umbraco/webservices/api/DocumentService.asmx file correctly. 

Now when I make a call to /umbraco/webservices/api/DocumentService.asmx/UserHasAccess with the username and password parameters, it returns true. But when I try with other methods like create or update, it's giving me a System.InvalidOperationException: Web service method name is not valid error.

Any help with this?

By the way, I am running umbraco 4.5.2

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:29
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Manuel,

Strange that the 'create' and 'update' doesn't work.  Do you know if any of the other web-service methods work? e.g. 'UserAuthenticates', 'read' or 'readList'?

Cheers, Lee.

• manuelpedrera 18 posts 38 karma points
    Oct 27, 2010 @ 11:39
    manuelpedrera

Hi Lee, thanks for your answer.

I've tried all methods with the following result (now just browsing, not making POST calls):

• UserAuthenticates: gives the error.
    • UserHasAccess: missing username parameter.
    • WebservicesEnabled: returns true.
    • read: missing id parameter.
    • readList: missing parentid parameter.
    • delete: missing id parameter.
    • update: gives the error.
    • create: gives the error.
    The IIS site for this is using .NET version 2.0.50727. Maybe the error is because of this, but I have another umbraco installed in my own machine also, running .NET 4.0 and is giving me the error with every method of the webservice. 
    Please note that I'm not a .NET expert and it could be a newbie mistake by my side, so consider all weird possibilities :D

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft