Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Some Person 15 posts 35 karma points
    Nov 12, 2010 @ 22:05
    Some Person

JSON API

Hey guys,

I don't know if it exists already, I'm still an Umbraco newbi! Well, I think it would be cool if Umbraco has a little JSON server built in, and maybe a jQuery framework to talk to it. Reasoning being endless scrolling! And other cool features, a CMS I have seen strongly integrate this is http://www.firerift.com/. Although my only problem with that CMS is if the browser is incompatible no content is displayed. (Never a good thing) 

So all of this functionality is out-of-the-box.

Cheers / Ryan 

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Nov 13, 2010 @ 12:37
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Ryan,

Its already possible to do this with Umbraco using the /Base - which is a REST interface for Umbraco.

Have a read over Sebastiaan's blog post about using it with JSON: http://www.cultiv.nl/blog/2010/10/12/using-base-to-create-and-consume-a-json-string

Cheers, Lee.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Nov 15, 2010 @ 17:51
    Aaron Powell

What would you be expecting from a JSON API? 

Would you expect REST end points which you can get/ post data to?

Would you expect an OData end point which you can deep query into?

As Lee has pointed out there is already the /Base API which allows you to create REST end points in Umbraco 4.x, but if there's something missing that you think should be in any future releases could you please elaborate.

• Some Person 15 posts 35 karma points
    Nov 16, 2010 @ 19:26
    Some Person

Hi slace,

Sorry for the slow reply!

Well as I keep mentioning, a CMS I like called Firerift uses this type of system for a simple brilliant templating architecture. I will not waist time re-typing the exact features out but you can see the main outline of the JSON features on this page.

For a better understanding you can watch this screencast here.

The only downside to that CMS is that its PHP and its made by a few people, so updates are pretty null and it has a very low user count.

Hope this helps / Ryan

• Janaka Lakmal 25 posts 72 karma points
    Sep 28, 2011 @ 15:30
    Janaka Lakmal

I have developed a package which will enable you to call rest format URL then return published pages in JSON format. If that is you are looking for I can send it to you.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft