Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mots 44 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 18:08
    mots

Website not updating unless recycle app pool

Hi,

Whenever I add a new page and publish it, or I sort a set of pages in a different order, my webiste is not updating to reflect the new changes. However, if I recycle the application pool in IIS and then refresh the page, the new changes can be seen.

Does anyone know why the new changes are shown on my site only when I recycle the application pool in IIS?

Thanks.

• Eduardo 106 posts 130 karma points
    Nov 18, 2010 @ 18:11
    Eduardo

Hi Twentysix,

I am having the same problem. I can't fix this problem even deleting the temporary files in the Client_Dependency folder.

Regards,
    Eduardo Macho

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Nov 19, 2010 @ 14:07
    Tom Fulton

Is your site spanned across multiple servers?  If so you need to configure Umbraco for load balancing, so it "pings" each server with the update and forces each server to refresh it's cache.

This wiki post has some of the basics: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/installing-umbraco-for-load-balanced-environments

If this is not the case, try checking the umbracoLog table and see if any related errors.

Nov 19, 2010 @ 14:46
    mots

No my site is not spanned across multiple servers. Its just on a single server running on IIS.

Funnily enough, the pages where its causing an issue, I have a repeater on that page which lists all the children below that page. When I add a new child page the repeater picks up the new page and displays it.

However, I also have a few user controls on that page (for navigation menus) which also contain a repeater within them to display the child pages. When I add a new child page the repeater in the user control does not pick up the new page and hence does not display it in the navigation menu (unless I recycle the app pool in IIS).

Therefore it does display the new child page via the main repeater that is on the page, but just not within the repeater that is in the user control. So I'm thinking it might be more of an issue with the datasource for the repeater in my user controls being cached, and its not getting cleared/reset unless I recycle the app pool in IIS.

Any ideas on how to resolve this problem anyone? Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Tom Fulton 2030 posts 4998 karma points c-trib
    Nov 19, 2010 @ 14:49
    Tom Fulton

Are you calling the usercontrol via a macro?  If so you might check the cache settings on that

Nov 19, 2010 @ 14:55
    mots

No I'm not calling it via a macro. I've just created a user control which is referenced directly in the page template.

I'm thinking it might be more of a .NET issue rather than an Umbraco one. But then again I've done the exact same thing for other sites using different a CMS and its never been an issue before.

• Eduardo 106 posts 130 karma points
    Nov 24, 2010 @ 19:07
    Eduardo

Hi folks,

I solved the problem

Just add this two lines of code into the head section of your pages or masterpage:

<meta http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache" />
    <meta http-equiv="Cache-Control" content="no-cache, mustrevalidate" />

Add to the web.config (under System.Web)

<caching>
            <cache disableMemoryCollection = "true" 
              disableExpiration = "false" 
              privateBytesLimit = "0" 
              percentagePhysicalMemoryUsedLimit = "90" 
              privateBytesPollTime = "00:02:00"/>
         </caching>

Hope this helps you too.

Sincere regards,
    Eduardo Macho

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: