Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris White 23 posts 43 karma points
    Dec 10, 2010 @ 11:20
    Chris White

Umbraco Scalability

Hello all,

I've sort of posted this question before (http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/10281-Maximum-number-of-Documents-Pages-in-Umbraco) but I need to understand more about this as I'm about to embark on a large scale Umbraco solution.

We're about to start developing a large scale multi-lingual web site and have chosen Umbraco as our CMS. My concern is around the page limit that Umbraco can handle. I've seen posts where people talk about ~10,000 pages and I attended Niels session at TechEd this year where he intimated that a "limit" was circa 250,000 pages. I really need to understand whether there is a hard and fast limit (I'm guessing not) so rather what impacts the number of pages that can be handled. I'm guessing it's the size of the XML cache on the web servers, so relates to the actual size of each page rather than the number of pages in total ?

We could easily have 25,000 - 30,000 pages in our site. However, this site will be rolling out accross the world in potentially approx 10 territoroes. Hence if we have a separate page tree for each multi-lingual territory we could be talking 30,000 * 10 = 300,000 pages. We may be able to keep the same page tree (unlikely in some areas of the page tree) but would need to add multi-lingual properties to the page types, so the number of properties on each page could grow ten-fold.

I'd like to understand the issues that this sort of scenario presents when using Umbraco and how others have addressed these issues.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

• Sjors Pals 617 posts 270 karma points
    Dec 10, 2010 @ 11:29
    Sjors Pals

Hi Chris, are all those pages all "Content" pages? Or are they more like a Catalogue? If they are kind of static, it can be an option to store them in a other content repository. And it's even possible to edit them from the Umbraco backend, it is certain possible to use Umbraco for larger content sites, i know they use umbraco for a site like Wired, don't know their architecture, but it's certainly possible.

• Chris White 23 posts 43 karma points
    Dec 13, 2010 @ 11:47
    Chris White

Hi Sjors,

Potentially yes, they are all content pages. On top of that there's another 15,000 - 20,000 product pages we need to incorporate (again, per language), but we'll not have a page for these in the CMS, so we'll effectively need to build some sort of "page provider" to surface these within the Umbraco site - if anyone has done anything similar regarding this I'd be interested to hear about it e.g. integrating into Umbraco's URL structure etc.

Kind Regards,

Chris

• Sjors Pals 617 posts 270 karma points
    Dec 13, 2010 @ 12:14
    Sjors Pals

Hi Chris, this is not too hard to accomplish, currently i work on a project where i use mixed data from both Umbraco and a SqlDatabase, in the SqlDatabase i store stuff like viewcounts, user ratings, and questions asked by visitors.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft