Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greyhound 102 posts 124 karma points
    Dec 14, 2010 @ 17:35
    Greyhound

Integrating blogengine.net

Hi,

I need to get some more functionality out of the blog so have decided to try and switch to blogengine.net

I'm having real difficulty integrating this though. I have used the instructions here:
    http://clairebotman.id.au/post/2010/07/14/Installing-BlogEngineNET-into-a-sub-directory-of-umbraco.aspx

But this is not working (I'm using windows XP and not IIS7)

Does anyone know of any other documentation pertaining to anything like this - if I could just get a handle on what needs to be changed (conceptually) then that would be a start. If anyone has actually accomplished this and can tell me how, then that would be a miracle!!

After pulling my hair out all day, any advice would be appreciated, event if its "give it up, it cant be done!"

Cheers,
    Greyhound.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Dec 14, 2010 @ 18:25
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Greyhound,

I dont have any experience with BlogEngine.net - but it might be worth taking a look at Matt Brailsford's blog post about Integrating 3rd Party Systems with Umbraco?

Matt's example is using NopCommerce, but there may be some similar principles? e.g. Web.config merges, etc.

Good luck! Do let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers, Lee.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 14, 2010 @ 23:03
    Aaron Powell

Define "not working", does it give you an error, does nothing happen, does it cause a rip in the space time continuum?

Dec 15, 2010 @ 11:03
    Greyhound

@slace : lol, this is a valid point. The instructions I followed caused multiple problems from web.config errors, URL re-write issues and invalid references to Blog Engine tags.

I watched the Matt Brailsford video - Not 100% sure this is a good idea as this approach could get very very confusing if one needs to integrate more than one application. However, I did google some more based on his approach and found:
    http://www.jackstow.com/blog/post/2010/09/30/Running-BlogEngineNET-In-A-Subdirectory.aspx

So far I'm having some success with this although I cannot log into blogengine yet as I think I may need to change some of the membership providers so that the cookies are set correctly.

Then I need to work out how to integrate my Umbraco macros when I have BE.NET working as a non-virtual directory.

Hopefully I can post again later on today with a complete solution.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Dec 15, 2010 @ 13:02
    Aaron Powell

You'll have to make sure that you're removing the Umbraco HttpModule in your BE.Net web.config, otherwise it'll try and execute it (and in turn fail)

Dec 23, 2010 @ 18:20
    Greyhound

Hi Guys,

After a few days I've finally got BlogEngine.net integrated and styled. I used the jackstow.com link above and moved the blog engine into the root. I can confirm that this definitely works.

I then had to make various changes to the umbraco web.config to create a mashup of that and the BE.Net config file (there are a hideous amount of path changes that then need to be carried out in the BE.Net code as well)

All in all though a fantastic blog engine although I'm less than happy that the admins have to log in to a seperate application to post a blog. I seriously think that many may not use Umbraco due to the fact that it doesnt have a well seasoned and easy to integrate blog component. Dont get me wrong, I'm not ungrateful for Blog4Umbraco, this is also a very good blog and provided gratis by a very dedicated bunch of people.

Next step is trying to integrate a search function so that the Umbraco and BE.Net results can be combined. 

• louie_nz 9 posts 29 karma points
    Mar 06, 2011 @ 12:53
    louie_nz

I agree with you, Greyhound.

Mar 06, 2011 @ 15:12
    Greyhound

I was beginning to think it was just me seeing as noone else other than you has replied.

Going down the BlogEngine route was a big mistake - there is a bug with Lucene and creating a custom search on BlogEngine data just wont work which meant the whole project was comprimised.

It defintely rammed home to me that however much I love Umbraco (especially Juno which is a fantastic release), sometimes one CMS will not meet all needs and its a horses for courses situation. I think for certain projects you need to look at the other CMS options that do what you need out of the box or have modules that can be purchased and priced in as part of the overall project cost.

I'm still an Umbraco fan boy though - just re-releasing my own site using Umbraco and it rocks (most of the time)

• Adam 51 posts 81 karma points
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 17:50
    Adam

Thanks for posting your experiences Greyhound. I now will not look any further into integrating BlogEngine as I am no coder and can't imagine I would be able to get it up and running properly.

Adam

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft