Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Lingstuyl 202 posts 379 karma points
    Dec 15, 2010 @ 10:24
    Martin Lingstuyl

Lucene throwing Merge exception

Hi all,

I'm currently developing a site for a friend in which I import a lot of nodes through a script. (which should run like every night or week when its live) So I tested the script, its working. But now, after running the script something goes wrong.

I dont know what I did wrong, but I'm getting a Lucene indexing error every few minutes. (Lucene.Net.Index.MergePolicy+MergeException.)

Every few minutes a Visual Studio window pops up saying w3wp.exe should debug. When I accept it tells me Lucene is throwing a merge exception error and that it can't find the assembly lucene.net (even though it's just in the bin directory.)

Anyone got any ideas on this? I hope so, the problem is nagging me big time.

Martin

Dec 15, 2010 @ 10:33
    Martin Lingstuyl

Extra information:

In my umbracoLog table it says the following:

[UmbracoExamine] Error deleting Lucene index,Lock obtain timed out: NativeFSLock@ **websitemap**\App_Data\TEMP\ExamineIndexes\InternalMember\Index\write.lock

And it says this almost EVERY SECOND

Dec 15, 2010 @ 11:16
    Martin Lingstuyl

Oke,

one more extra:

1) I deleted the /app_date/temp/examineindexes folder.

2) This caused the index to reload and solved some problems.

3) But now I get this error during loading the import script i described above: [UmbracoExamine] Cannot index queue items, another indexing operation is currently in progress,

(only if I put runAsync="false" in examinesettings.config)

and the importprocess stops. Anyone any ideas?

Dec 15, 2010 @ 11:32
    Martin Lingstuyl

Ok I seem to have solved my own problem.

1) I put runAsync back to true in examinesettings.config

2) Reran the importprocess, worked just fine.

In the umbracoLog table I still see the error 'Cannot index queue items, another indexing operation'

So something strange happens when importing loads of nodes. But the script works, and my w3wp error is gone.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jan 07, 2011 @ 16:13
    Richard Soeteman

Just a follow up for future reference.

I had the same issue with CMSImport. Just did a test with Umbraco 4.6 and the issue above is fixed in that release.

Cheers,

Richard

• Shannon Deminick 1525 posts 5271 karma points MVP 2x
    Jan 17, 2011 @ 10:57
    Shannon Deminick

DO NOT set async to false!

I'm not sure why everyone keeps doing this. it should only be set to false for testing if you are runnign special events, etc...

Also, if you've upgraded any Lucene DLLs, you might get a strange exception like the merge one because your index is built with an old Lucene version and the new one is trying to write to it and it doesn't recognize the format.

Jan 17, 2011 @ 10:58
    Shannon Deminick

Also, Umbraco 4.6 does have some better index handling than 4.5 but we have MANY sites running Examine with 4.5 (and earlier) and don't have issues.

Jan 17, 2011 @ 11:01
    Shannon Deminick

One last thing to note is that 4.6 is shipped with the latest version of Examine and ClientDependency. Both of the latest versions of these frameworks will also work with 4.5. If you are running 4.5 i strongly advise you to upgrade both Examine and ClientDependency to the latest versions from CodePlex.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft