This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon 24 posts 127 karma points
    Dec 21, 2010 @ 12:59
    Simon

Keep getting null reference exception when publishign a node

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum.

I keep getting the following error when i try to publish a node:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    UmbracoExamine.UmbracoEventManager.content_AfterUpdateDocumentCache(Document sender, DocumentCacheEventArgs e) +77
    umbraco.DocumentCacheEventHandler.Invoke(Document sender, DocumentCacheEventArgs e) +0
    umbraco.content.FireAfterUpdateDocumentCache(Document sender, DocumentCacheEventArgs e) +135
    umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Document d) +1679
    umbraco.content.UpdateDocumentCache(Int32 pageId) +119
    umbraco.library.UpdateDocumentCache(Int32 DocumentId) +195
    umbraco.cms.presentation.editContent.Publish(Object sender, EventArgs e) +784
    System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0
    umbraco.controls.ContentControl.savePublish(Object Sender, ImageClickEventArgs e) +164
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e) +133
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +164
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3690

Anyone know why this is happening?

I'm using the .net 4.0 version and the only modification i've made is to use my own membership provider.  Can't see how that would make any difference though.

Si

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 21, 2010 @ 21:41
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Simon

I'm not sure but I think this could maybe have something to do with permissions.

What permissions do you have on Network service and iusr? And is the app pool running integrated mode?

/Jan

• Simon 24 posts 127 karma points
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 09:39
    Simon

Weird, I solved it somehow.  Seemed to be to do with trying to use Node  properties which were null.... I think.  Or it was because the name of the properties themselves were causing problems.

• tentonipete 78 posts 223 karma points
    May 16, 2011 @ 16:11
    tentonipete

This problem is not to do with permissions, it's to do with some secret reserved alias names. I've had the same problem when trying to use aliases "node" and "rootNode". Easily rectified by choosing something different, but I can't find it documented anywhere and there's no validation when selecting an alias to say that particular names are illegal.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft