Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• moshesa 8 posts 29 karma points
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 11:47
    moshesa

Integration with existing website

Hello,

I have a working website (asp.net 3.5) which I want to add some content managed pages,
    I want to install Umbraco on as a separated website and pull the data from it using the API.

Which dll/s should I use and how?

Thanks,
    Moshe.

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 12:02
    Chris Koiak

All published data is stored in /AppData/umbraco.config, You can access this directly or create xml feeds by writing xslt-based macros.

If you're running your existing website as a different application i don't think you can use the API. If you can you could use the NodeFactory (http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/api-cheatsheet/working-with-the-nodefactory) or Linq to Umbraco (http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/reference/api-cheatsheet/linq-to-umbraco)

Chris

Dec 22, 2010 @ 12:29
    moshesa

Thanks, thas was very helpful.

How do I set the data source for the node factory? (url of the Umbraco site or the DB parameters to pull the data from)

• Hendy Racher 863 posts 3849 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 12:53
    Hendy Racher

Hi Moshesa,

If it's a seperate application, then as Chis says, I also doubt you'll be able to use the API, although all the published XML is available from the /App_Data/umbraco.config file - but if you don't want to read in the XML file, how about writing a webservice for your Umbraco site that utilizes the API ?

Alternatively have you considered putting your current application and Umbraco onto the same site ? it's possible to define appSetting values in the web.config (umbracoReservedUrls, umbracoReservedPaths) for your existing application, so that Umbraco will ignore these.

HTH,

Hendy

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 12:54
    Rich Green

Are both these websites on the same server? If so you can most likely run them in the same IIS Site, then you can use the nodefactory as normal, Umbraco will ignore anything in the 'umbracoReservedPaths' directories

<add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/" />

If not, (I have no idea if this will work)  the Umbraco web.config uses this key

<add key="umbracoContentXML" value="~/App_Data/umbraco.config" />

Rich

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Dec 22, 2010 @ 12:56
    Rich Green

I got to learn to type faster! Didn't see your post Hendy :) 

Dec 23, 2010 @ 16:10
    moshesa

Thank you Hendy, the webservice was a great solution :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft