Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew L 44 posts 44 karma points
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 09:02
    Andrew L

Going insane trying to work out where umbraco is getting a node's content from.

I need to make some manual changes to the database in order to upgrade my multi-node picker, but I am going insane trying to work out where umbraco is getting its data from. It looks like some sort of caching issue. As far as I know though, there are only three places node data should be stored - the /data/umbraco.config file, in memory or in the database. Is that right?

Here is what I am doing, as a test:

* Open a page on the website. The page has the word "banana" on it.

* Open the same page in the Umbraco CMS. The page also says "banana". Its node id is 1000.

* Stop the website.

* Run the following command against the database:

update cmsContentXml
    set [xml] = CONVERT(ntext,replace(convert(nvarchar(MAX),[xml]),'banana','peach'))
    where nodeId = 1000

So now, my content should say 'peach' instead of 'banana'... with me?

* Delete the /data/umbraco.config file.

* Restart the website, and go the actual page on the website. The page says 'peach', like it should.

* Open the same page again in the Umbraco CMS. But it still says 'banana'! Where is it getting this content form?!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 23, 2010 @ 09:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andrew

Have you tried updating the umbraco.config file by choosing "Republish entire site" by right clicking the "content" node in Umbraco?

/Jan

• Gerty Engrie 130 posts 489 karma points c-trib
    Dec 28, 2010 @ 13:08
    Gerty Engrie

Euhm i think you should update it in the cmsPropertyData rather then in the cmsContentXml, since the whole xml thing gets rebuild when restarting the site...

So what i think you should do, do a select on cmsDocument where nodeid= 1000 and published=1, take that versionid and go look in cmsPropertyData for that versionid, it will return a bunch of rows. Do a select on cmsPropertyType with your alias from the field you want to update (and contenttypeid) and use that to narrow down the list of cmsPropertyData.. that's the one you should update :)

good luck!

• Andrew L 44 posts 44 karma points
    Dec 28, 2010 @ 13:17
    Andrew L

Hi Gerty, Yes, wow, that's exactly it - thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft