Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andy 11 posts 31 karma points
    Jan 07, 2011 @ 19:17
    Andy

Using an external login

I'm thinking of integrating an Umbraco installation with an external site login. I was thinking I could have a login form in Umbraco which posts the login credentials to the server. The server sends the credentials to an external site (over SSL). The external site would return some XML with roles, permissions and a session cookie which would be passed to the browser. Unfortunately, I'm a Java bod so I'm not sure how easily I can latch into the asp.net/umbraco authentication framework to do this (I've done it before using Spring/Struts and Java). Any thoughts?

The Umbraco site is a subdomain (e.g. foo.bar.com) of the external site (e.g. wibble.bar.com) so they can share a single domain based session cookie without any problems. So, logging into one site would log you into both.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 08, 2011 @ 00:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Andy

Not really a wizard at this myself but it should be possible to use another membership provider. Maybe you can find more information and inspiration by reading the wiki entires here: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/membership-providers

/Jan

• Darren Ferguson 1022 posts 3259 karma points MVP c-trib
    Jan 08, 2011 @ 09:48
    Darren Ferguson

Are you talking about members authenticating to your website or users authenticating to the Umbraco back office?

Jan 08, 2011 @ 11:11
    Andy

This would be for members authenticating to the website (rather than authors or administrators). As well as authenticating them in in case they move across to the other site (for a smooth browsing experience) I could also pull in some information from the other site such as areas of interest and location that I would use in the xslt within Umbraco to personalise the Umbraco site.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jan 10, 2011 @ 10:22
    Tim

You could create your own membership provider to swap out for the default one. There's an Active Directory Membership Provider here: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/active-directory-and-umbraco-authentication you could grab the source code for that and modify it to use your authentication maybe?

May 02, 2012 @ 11:22
    Andy

We eventually achieved this starting from the Danish SAML2 integration and building our own partial SAML2 extension to ja-sig CAS. I originally tried using Shibboleth on top of ja-sig CAS but couldn't find my way through the documentation/configuration and was getting all sorts of problems when using them together in a cluster. The OIOSAML itself is ok although lacking in decent logging when you are configuring it (you will need to get the source code to figure out what is going wrong). The Umbraco role provider built on top of OIOSAML didn't actually work as far as we could see. However, it contained enough that we managed to unpick it and write our own.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft