Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Vincent DeCapite 64 posts 83 karma points
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 15:27
    Vincent DeCapite

Umbraco Deleting Random Content

Hi There,

We are running into an issue with our umbraco system where one day we can in and a whole section on the website had been deleted. It was not in the Recycle bin in Umbraco and the logs said nothing about someone deleting anything. (Actually none of our users have the option to delete). I checked the IIS Logs, Umbraco Logs, and Event Management Logs and nothing popped out.

The version of Umbraco we are running is 4.0.3 on a windows Server 2008 box with IIS7.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 16:09
    Dan

Hi Vincent,

I can't for the life of me find the forum posts or bug reports about it, but there was a very nasty bug around the time of 4.0.3 which resulted in whole nodes of content being deleted without trace.  This bit me a couple of times on production sites and the only thing I could do was restore from back-ups - I remember Dan Drayne had the same issue a couple of times too.  I do remember though that this bug seemed to be triggered by deleting content (you'd delete what you thought was a single node, and bang, a whole other node tree completely disappeared).  You say that nobody has permission to delete anything though so perhaps it's not exactly the same thing, or perhaps someone did delete something recently but the cache has kept it in place until now?

Either way, I'd very strongly recommend upgrading to 4.1+ (keeping the legacy xml schema in 4.5+ if needs be) where the bug was fixed and you have peace of mind.

In the meantime, I presume you've looked at the umbraco.config file or in the database directly to double check that the data has 100% gone from everywhere?

• Sean Mooney 131 posts 158 karma points c-trib
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 16:13
    Sean Mooney

First thing I would do is recycle the application pool and see if that does anything.

Then, double check the umbracoDbDSN (in the web.config) to make sure it is pointing to the right database and not one for another environment (ie dev, live, etc)

Then, I would check the actual database and see if you can find your content in there. This would tell you if it is a database issue or an umbraco issue.

-Sean

• Vincent DeCapite 64 posts 83 karma points
    Feb 08, 2011 @ 16:15
    Vincent DeCapite

Thanks for the Quick response Dan. And yes. We did a query on the database and it was 100% gone. We are wanting to upgrade our system to 4.5 or 4.6 but because we are using these packages so far there hasn't been an update for the packages and thats what is holding us back. I know the repeatable custom content wasn't upgrade and the treemultipicker

The packages we are using:

ImageGen
    TreeMultiPicker
    Zip Upload
    Repeatable Custom Content v2 Fixed
    F.A.L.M. Housekeeping

Feb 08, 2011 @ 16:26
    Dan

I can sympathise Vincent.  What's frustrating is that the documentation for 4.1, where I presume the bug report and fix would have been detailed, has been taken down now on Codeplex: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/42419, so it's very difficult to tell whether this was 100% certainly the issue.  Sounds like it to me though, and like I said, my only resolution on the 2 occasions this happened was to restore from back-ups.

Edit:

I know it's not ideal either, but from the packages you mention, some have been upgraded to work on 4.6 (ImageGen, FALM Housekeeping and Zip-Upload [which is now included in the dashboard of 4.6]) and others have more up-to-date equivalents (TreeMultiPicker and RepeatableCustomContent can both be done with uComponents I think).  Granted though, I know how difficult it can be to get clients to sponsor the upgrade process.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Feb 09, 2011 @ 00:49
    Tim

@Dan, are you thinking of the issue with the old tree where it was possible to right click on a node and delete what you thought was that node, and it would actually delete the parent node, or sometimes one that you'd clicked on previously? If so, I think that's been fixed in 4.5, as the tree was replaced with one that actually worked properly!

@Vincent, as Dan mentions, most of those packages are compatible with 4.5/6, except TreeMultipivker (which can be directly swapped out for the newer and considerably improved version in uComponents), and the Repeatable Content package, although there is an unofficial fixed version of that which works in 4.5/6 doing the rounds. There's also the excellent Embedded Content package, which is similar, but fully 4.5/6 compatible.

Feb 09, 2011 @ 10:27
    Dan

Tim, yep, I think that's the bug.  As far as I know it was fixed in 4.1 even, but can't find the docs on Codeplex that far back to confirm.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft