Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Steven 33 posts 166 karma points
    Mar 09, 2011 @ 16:22
    Steven

Design Decisions on using Document or SQL database table

Hi folks,

I am in the progress of 'disecting' Umbraco to understand how this CMS could be usefull for running a couple of websites and I am quite happy with what I have seen so far ...

One of the 'neat' features to me seems the seperation between using the database for content editing and the usage of an XML cached data representation for faster client access ...

I started to look at additional built components like the 'uComment' to understand how one would built such additions and I found out that in this particular case the component uses a custom database table and fetches the data directly using SQL statements ... 

I was wondering why that would be the case ?

With my current knowledge of Umbraco I would have thought that the component would use its own document type and would use the API to create documents under the document node on which it operates.  By doing so it would then automatically benefit of the XML caching, publishing functionalities, etc ...

What am I missing here ?  Would there be any particular reasons for not following this strategy ? 

Thanks for helping me out on gaining more insight into this wonderfull CMS,

Regards,

Steven

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft