Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fredrik 89 posts 108 karma points
    Apr 25, 2011 @ 19:28
    Fredrik

Problems with text

When I create documents programatically, strings that contain special characters are saved as ( for example. ö or ") How can come around this problem?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 25, 2011 @ 19:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Frederik

What kind of characters are you creating? And where is it displayed as above?

Are you saving the the file encoded as utf-8?

/Jan

Apr 26, 2011 @ 08:05
    Fredrik

It is displayed as above in the umbraco content section after creating a umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.document....how can I set encoding so that it accepts characters like (å,ä,ö,") etc?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 26, 2011 @ 08:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Depending on your version of Visual Studio you should be able to go to "File -> Save selected item as"...and from the window that appears here you should be able to select the encoding.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 28, 2011 @ 11:42
    Fredrik

Problem was solved by using a Html Decode method when the property value was set

Apr 28, 2011 @ 12:56
    Fredrik

I have another similiar problem.

When writing text in a textbox multiple, the linebreaks dissapears when adding the property value to a string in visualstudio.

Is there away to output the property value of type 'textbox multiple' through an aspx usercontrol without the linebreaks disappearing?

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Apr 28, 2011 @ 13:22
    Michael Latouche

Hi Fred,

I guess you can do a .Replace("\r\n"n "<br/>") on the property value, or something similar?

Cheers,

Michael.

Apr 29, 2011 @ 09:11
    Fredrik

I have tried various ways of achieving this without any luck.

Critical parts from my code as it looks like right now.

product.GetProperty(reqProperty).Value.ToString().Replace("\n","<br/>");

DescriptionLabel.Text = product.description;

DescriptionLabel is asp:literal and ive tried with all modes(transform, pass through and encode).

Replace does find and replace \n but only show <br/> as text in the output

Apr 29, 2011 @ 09:54
    Michael Latouche

Hi Fredrik,

There something I do not quite understand in your code snippet: it seems you call the .Replace method on one of your product properties, without assigning the result to any variable. So in fact this does not do anything concrete I think. Then you assign product.description to your DescriptionLabel, but from what I see in the code, product.description was not changed.

Have you tried something like this:

var description = product.GetProperty(reqProperty).Value.ToString().Replace("\n","<br/>");
    DescriptionLabel.Text = description;

Or maybe you will need to HtmlDecode or something.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Michael.

Apr 29, 2011 @ 10:00
    Fredrik

Well it actually looks like this:

protected string productInfo(string articleNr, string reqProperty, Node product)
            {
                if (reqProperty == "image" || reqProperty == "pDF")
                {
                    if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(product.GetProperty(reqProperty).Value))
                    {
                        Media file = new Media(int.Parse(product.GetProperty(reqProperty).Value));
                        return file.getProperty("umbracoFile").Value.ToString();
                    }
                }
                else
                {
                    return product.GetProperty(reqProperty).Value.ToString();
                }
                return "";
            }

So it is not the complete code :). The problem lies somewhere in what in my last entry...

Ive tried html.decode and encode like:

DescriptionLabel.Text = Server:HtmlEncode(product.description);

Apr 29, 2011 @ 10:16
    Michael Latouche

Hi Fredrik,

Sorry for me not understanding correctly, I can imagine you cannot post your full code ;-), but I still do not see the link between the different pieces of code you have posted :-S

If you want to display the product description property which is multi-line, then I guess you must use something like this :

DescriptionLabel.Text = Server.HtmlDecode(product.description.Replace("\n","<br/>"));

If you want to use the result of your productInfo method, then I guess you must use something like this:

var description = productInfo("123456", "description", product);
    DescriptionLabel.Text = Server.HtmlDecode(description.Replace("\n","<br/>")); // or do the Replace within yout productInfo method "else" branch

But for the moment, I do not see the link, in your example/problem, between the productInfo method and the fact that you assign the product.description property to the literal. Can you maybe post a little more info to make that link become clear?

Also, I am actually not sure if you need to HtmlDecode, but I am quite sure that HtmlEncode is of no use in this case. HtmlEncoding will replace your "<br/>" to something like "&lt;br/&gt;".

Cheers,

Michael.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft