Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Accusoft 58 posts 109 karma points
    Apr 28, 2011 @ 14:58
    Accusoft

Umbraco Custom Data Type with Multiple Values

I've been working on a new custom data type based on Tim's blog. I've got it 95% complete, but am running into a problem saving.  Tim's example only had a text field, in my case it's a series of checkboxes; essentially an array of data.  I would rather not store this in one field but multiple fields with a relationship.  His "OnSave" example looks like this:

void DataEditorControl_OnSave(EventArgs e)
    {
    base.Data.Value = m_control.Text;
    }

Any ideas how I can convert this to take an array of data and save across multiple fields with a relationship?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Apr 28, 2011 @ 23:32
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Currently, all of the datatypes solve this by creating either a comma-separated list of data or creating an XML structure within the field. It is unfortunately not possible to store the data of a single datatype over multiple columns in the database.

• Accusoft 58 posts 109 karma points
    Apr 29, 2011 @ 13:50
    Accusoft

Not the answer I was hoping for but it is what it is.  Any chance this can be improved upon in future versions of Umbraco?  Thanks!

• aghy 129 posts 308 karma points
    Apr 29, 2011 @ 15:19
    aghy

If you have a look at the cmsDataTypePreValue table it has an alias field and it looks like the new google maps package uses it. So it's probably worth having a look into that.

Ben

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft