Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• radmanmm 117 posts 108 karma points
    May 02, 2011 @ 21:21
    radmanmm

Authentication Issue

Hi All,

I am in a bit of a pickle.  About 3 weeks ago I convinced our department to move the current website into a CMS.  As I have used umbraco for the past 3 years or so, I knew it was the right tool for the job.  The majority of the site has been converted and is working very well.  The site also contains a job board which was done in asp.net.  This we decided we could convert into user controls and embed the functionality into content pages on the umbraco site.  This also went very well minus one severe problem (feels this way do to my ignorance, may not be).

The job boards use forms authentication, but not using the membership api.  Basically an httpModule evaluates the request and looks at a custom principal attached to the thread of the request.  The login logic uses Forms Authentication and then sets the principal.

Any ideas on how I might get both models to work together?  I am hoping I don't have to completely re-engineer the job board logic.

Thanks for your time.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    May 02, 2011 @ 21:33
    Rich Green

Hey,

I'm confused about what you're trying to solve. I'm assuming the Job Board users do not need to login to the back end of umbraco. So why can't you carry on using the same authentication method you already in place?

Rich

May 02, 2011 @ 21:36
    radmanmm

Well that is really what I thought, but it seems umbraco is trying to grab the authentication ticket and use it for its backend process.  My goal is to let external "Job Board" users login to the controls, but not be treated like umbraco members.  can I turn off just the member access in umbraco?

May 02, 2011 @ 21:45
    Rich Green

Ok, I see.

To be honest I'm not sure on the details but here's the relevant part in the web.config

<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="UmbracoRoleProvider">
          <providers>
            <clear />
            <add name="UmbracoRoleProvider" type="umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoRoleProvider" />
          </providers>
        </roleManager>

Umbraco can use any membership provider, so you could  either just try switched enabled to false, or change the membership provider to whatever your existing app was using,

Rich

May 02, 2011 @ 21:46
    radmanmm

Great, I will try disabling that first, hopefully that won't have any negative side effects.

Thanks!

May 02, 2011 @ 21:51
    Rich Green

My mistake:

<membership defaultProvider="UmbracoMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
          <providers>
            <clear />
            <add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="Another Type" passwordFormat="Hashed" />
            <add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.UsersMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" />
          </providers>
        </membership>
    May 04, 2011 @ 16:50
    radmanmm

Hi Rich, disabling the role membership did the trick for the issue I was having, thanks for your patience and help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft