Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Joe May 6 posts 26 karma points
    May 20, 2011 @ 15:59
    Joe May

Using the Umbraco membership provider within a winforms application

Hello,

I've been searching , but alas, not finiding anything. Perhaps you could help me out?

Umbraco 4.7 (.NET 4)

I need to use a winforms based automation system to add members to my Umbraco site. I've followed some pretty generic directions on getting access to the ASP.NET membership provider from within winforms, and I have done the following:

Add references for: umbraco.providers, umbraco.DataLayer, businesslogic, system.web.applicationservices, system.web

Add the following to app.config:

<system.web>
    <membership defaultProvider="UmbracoMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
    <providers>
    <clear/>
    <add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.members.UmbracoMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="User" passwordFormat="Hashed"/>
    <add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.UsersMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="false" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Hashed"/>
    </providers>
    </membership>
    </system.web>
    <appSettings>
    <add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="connectionstringhere" />
    </appSettings>

When I attempt to call Membership.GetUser(username), I get the following exception:

Unable to connect to SQL Server database.

at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString)
    at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.SetupApplicationServices(String server, String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString, String database, String dbFileName, SqlFeatures features, Boolean install)
    at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.Install(String database, String dbFileName, String connectionString)
    at System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.CreateMdfFile(String fullFileName, String dataDir, String connectionString)
    at System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.EnsureSqlExpressDBFile(String connectionString)
    at System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConnection(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation)
    at System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.GetUser(String username, Boolean userIsOnline)
    at System.Web.Security.Membership.GetUser(String username, Boolean userIsOnline)
    at System.Web.Security.Membership.GetUser(String username)
    at PuddyLib.Actions.Custom.ImportNcoPayUsers(SequenceStep& Sequence) in C:\Users\jmay\Documents\Projects\Source Control\Automation\PuddyLib\Operation\Actions.vb:line 9531
    at PuddyLib.Actions.CustomProcedure(SequenceStep& SequenceStep) in C:\Users\jmay\Documents\Projects\Source Control\Automation\PuddyLib\Operation\Actions.vb:line 5297
    at PuddyLib.SequenceStep.Invoke() in C:\Users\jmay\Documents\Projects\Source Control\Automation\PuddyLib\Operation\SequenceStep.vb:line 294

So obviously I'm doing something wrong and it's not getting the proper connection string. I've spent some time going through the Umbraco source, but I thought perhaps there is something obvious I'm missing and someone could help light the way.

Thanks!

Joe

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft