Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Roger Sutton 52 posts 124 karma points
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 11:22
    Roger Sutton

Accessing the Session_Start function

Hi,

I have a requirement to set up a number of session variables at the start of each session but cannot find a way to access the Session_Start function. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice depending on the version being used. We are currently 4.6.2 and soon will be 4.7.1 and we have tried to inherit from Umbraco:Global but with no success.

I'm obviously missing something or cannot see the right thread. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Roger

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 13:11
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Roger,

Quick check, have you deleted the "App_global.asax.dll" from the /bin directory? As that would be taking presidence.

For further reading, Matt Brailsford has a blog post about it: Registering an Application_Start Event Handler in Umbraco

Cheers, Lee

• Roger Sutton 52 posts 124 karma points
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 14:09
    Roger Sutton

Hi Lee,

Amazing how explaining stuff to someone else helps you get a better handle on what you are doing.

To gain access to Session_Start in versions over 4.5 (maybe lower as well) simply delete the app_Global.asax.dll from the Bin folder. Add a global.asax to the project root, delete all the handlers except Session_Start and add inherits="umbraco.Global" to the header line, eg.

<%@ Application Language="C#" Inherits="umbraco.Global"%>

<script runat="server">
        void Session_Start(object sender, EventArgs e) 
        {
            // Code that runs when a new session is started
            Session["test"] = "hello";
        }
    </script> 

This works fine and allows us to set up and initialise session variables. I don't know what umbraco.Global does in the other handlers so I have deleted them from my version as it is only Session_Start I want access to and umbraco.Global doesn't use it.

It may be you can cover them by calling the base handlers first, eg.

<%@ Application Language="C#" Inherits="umbraco.Global"%>

<script runat="server">

void Application_Start(object sender, EventArgs e) 
        {
            // Call Global base class first
            base.Application_Start(sender, e);

// Bespoke code that runs when the application is started
            Application["test"] = "hello";
        }

void Session_Start(object sender, EventArgs e) { // Code that runs when a new session is started Session["test"] = "hello"; } </script>

I haven't tried this but it should work I think. I hope this is useful to others who have found quite a lot of conflicting material running across several versions.

Regards

Roger

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft