Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• CMSPlusHosting 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 23:05
    CMSPlusHosting

Data Types all gone?? Any risk strategies preferred?

Ok today I had a pretty stressful day because out of the blue my data types were missing. I later found out that a browser glitch or something or someone deleted them ...

Any packages out there that send any deletions from the Developer area into Recycle Bin to undo any problems like this? Almost cried after all that happened.

Any recommendations?

• Lee Kelleher 4024 posts 15833 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 23:13
    Lee Kelleher

Howdy,

There is no recycle bin for the Developer section (it's only there for the Content and Media sections).

Best bet is to restrict access to the Developer section to those who require it and to make regular back-ups - so you can restore easily.

Cheers, Lee.

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Jun 27, 2011 @ 23:43
    Chris Dunn

The data types are probably still there, just not showing.  This can happen when you create a new datatype and something fails in the process.  Usually the node record is created but the datatype record is not.  When umbraco runs into this type of problem it just doesn't display the tree nodes.

You need to search for a node in the umbracoNode table for a datatype node which doesn't have a cooresponding record in the cmsDataType table.

umbracoNode.ID=cmsDataType.NodeId

Could be a permissions issue, package issue or database issue.  So even if you correct this and make the data types reappear...make sure you track down the real problem or it will happen again.

I had this issue with uComponents v 2.1 on 4.5.2 which kept causing issues when creating a new datatype.  I ended up installing a previous version of the package.  

-Chris

Jun 27, 2011 @ 23:47
    Lee Kelleher

@Chris: Curious about the issues you had with uComponents v2.1. v2.2 is in beta release now - and we'd like to fix any other issues before we release it as "stable".

• Chris Dunn 210 posts 401 karma points
    Jun 28, 2011 @ 00:18
    Chris Dunn

Lee,

Unfortunatly I didn't have alot of time to debug the issue on the client's box and didn't have access to the file system to check permissions.  I only had an issue on the client's umbraco install v4.5.2 but not on my local version 4.7.

Basically after installing ucomponents v 2.1 I created a datatype and got an generic error, the nodes under datatypes disappeared.  Had the DB Admin check the tables and found it created the node record but not the datatype.  He removed the bad node and tried again...same error.

Found some issues mentioned on forums and codeplex about permission issue or a problem with similarity component.  Because of a time crunch  I opted to use a previous version rather than grab the latest code.  I installed v 2.0 and didn't have any more problems.

FYI: Love the multi node picker :)

-Chris

Jun 28, 2011 @ 00:23
    Lee Kelleher

No worries Chris. We've sorted out the issue with Similarity from v2.1 (only seemed to affect a certain set-up, related to an upgraded install - not 100% sure, another dev fixed it).

Cheers, Lee.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft