Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• BaconBeastNz 40 posts 60 karma points
    Jul 07, 2011 @ 22:57
    BaconBeastNz

Setting up a member system

hey guys!

I'm looking to setup a member system (registration,login ETC) for a website on 4.7. I've been googling, searching for an up to date tutorial, reference guide on the matter but can't find one. (Sorry If its quite easy to find!)

I've setup a system before with the old < 4.5 member API, but I'm wondering if its worth switching to the new approach? Is there a steep learning curve? Are there any websites you guys could point me to get started? I have no experience with the .NET membership system so hoping it won't take too long to understand it all.

Thanks!

• Michael Latouche 504 posts 819 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Jul 08, 2011 @ 00:01
    Michael Latouche

Hello,

The easiest is indeed to work with the ASP.net Membership provider from Microsoft. The UmbracoMembershipProvider "extends" it. The advantage is that you can use all out-of-the box controls from Microsoft for managing members (login form etc.), as well as the Membership objects in your code-behind if needed.

You can also map some of the MembershipProvider properties with your Umbraco Member Type, which then allows you to manage the properties from the Umbraco admin console (section Members).

There is a wiki article that can help you start with it at : our.umbraco.org/.../umbracomembershipprovider-properties

One important thing is not to forget to set the "MemberType" attribute to the alias of your MemberType in the Umbraco backend.

Hope this helps, and do not hesitate to ask more info if you need.

Cheers,

Michael.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft