Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kim Grandgagnage 63 posts 87 karma points
    Aug 09, 2011 @ 11:53
    Kim Grandgagnage

Transfer media items from one site to another

I want to transfer images from a media section in "umbraco site a" to the media section in "umbraco site b", but without losing the original media id's.

How can I do this and keep the id's for the media items the same? I have already copied all the folders and images from the media folder to the media folder of my other site.

With XML Export I already managed to create an XML file of the product categories of "umbraco site a". I want to import this xml file in "umbraco site b" by use of CMS Import, so that the image id field in the xml file is recognized as a valuable image in the media section of "umbraco site b".

Thanks in advance.

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Aug 15, 2011 @ 13:51
    Tim

I'm not sure it's possible to do that with media items, as the IDs will get aout of sync between site a and site b (the same issue applies for content). So you might have an image with id of 1024 on site a, but on site b someone added an image that has that id, so you couldn't copy it accross from a and keep the id.

You could use Courier to copy the media items, it won't keep the ids, but should be clever enough to update most if not all of the references of the images to the new ids.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Aug 15, 2011 @ 15:22
    Dan Diplo

No idea if this would work, but could you package the Media folder and then load it in the new site?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft