Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• BaconBeastNz 40 posts 60 karma points
    Sep 08, 2011 @ 23:15
    BaconBeastNz

How to URL rewrite pages with prefix for Google SEO

Hey guys,

My team and I are looking to prefix every visited page on the website with 'new-zealand',

so  E.G: /new-zealand/our-services, /new-zealand/our-services/airport-pickup

Is a URL rewrite sufficient for Google to realise this change or do we actually need to change the page names?

Also how would we go about implementing this in Umbraco 4.7?

Thanks!

• Euan Rae 105 posts 135 karma points
    Sep 08, 2011 @ 23:40
    Euan Rae

url rewrite is sufficient for this to a point.  You can use url rewriting so that if the 'new-zealand' part of the url is not treated as a page in umbraco

e.g. /new-zealand/our-services, will actually got to /our-services.

BUT, to get google to use the links with 'new-zealand', you will have to update every link on your website (navigation, sitemaps, etc) to use this new url format.

open the UrlRewriting.config file (in the 'config' directory), and add an entry something like:

<add name="produktidrewrite" 

virtualUrl="^~/new-zealand/(.*)/" 

rewriteUrlParameter="ExcludeFromClientQueryString" 

destinationUrl="~/$1" 

ignoreCase="true" />

This might not be 100% correct, but if you goto http://www.urlrewriting.net/, there should be documentation to help you get the configuration right for what you're trying to do.

Sep 09, 2011 @ 01:29
    BaconBeastNz

Hey Euan thanks for your post!

We've just sat down for 2 hours using your info and have come up with a plan.

-Content editor is going to go through every page and update the Rich Text editors links to include the new prefix

-We are going to use 301 URL package to  get Google to update to the new page syntax while letting users still use the old links

-We will add new-zealand to either the top level pages or the home node.

Is there a way to change the home node to say 'new-zealand' and actually have it show up in the URL, that would be the best so that we have only actually changed the name of one page.

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Sep 09, 2011 @ 02:29
    skiltz

Hello fellow Kiwi.

In web.config Try changing. <add key="umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath" value="true" /> to false.

Thanks,
    Matthew

• Amal Q 2 posts 72 karma points
    Feb 15, 2019 @ 10:23
    Amal Q

Hello Skilz, I'm new in Umbraco world too, and I think i have the same problem as BaconBeastNz.

when I'm searching for my website on google, i'm getting the old link to my website.

in web.config I changed the to

but it did not help. Can you help me, please?

Sep 09, 2011 @ 03:22
    BaconBeastNz

sweet thanks mate :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft