Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kishore 19 posts 40 karma points
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 10:59
    Kishore

What happens umbraco site when database connection failed due to network failure

Hi,

I'm wondering what happens to the umbraco public facing site when there is a database connection failure due to network issue. Will the pages still be rendered to the clients from the xml cache or will it display 404 not found error?

Basically I want users to always get into my site even though there is a database connection problem. Is there way we can configure in Umbraco to avoid such circumstances.

Please help.

Umbraco Version: 4.7

Thanks

Kishore

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 11:26
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Kishore,

Umbraco needs to be able to connect to the database on the front-end.  While the front-end, depending on how you develop it, is driven by the XML cache, the back-office is running scheduled background tasks like "Publish At" or "Remove At".  Not sure if those features can be disabled in the core.

An alternative approach would be to take a look at a product called uSnapshot, this can make a full ASP.NET website export.

Cheers, Lee.

Sep 22, 2011 @ 11:39
    Kishore

Thanks Lee for the reply.

The database connection should always be active for the front end pages also, because I guess the pages are rendered using XML cache in the frontend. If thats a case then the site should load without problem even though the database is not live.

The database must be active for all the backend activities where as for the frontend site will only XML file be sufficient to render content to client.

Please confirm.

• Lee Kelleher 4020 posts 15802 karma points MVP 13x admin c-trib
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 12:38
    Lee Kelleher

Hi Kishore,

To confirm, the quick answer is that Umbraco (both front-end and back-office) require a connection to the database.

Longer answer is same as I wrote previously, the initial page load (on the front-end) polls a publishing service that checks if any content/documents are ready for publish/expiration. (This is part of the core product)

Cheers, Lee.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 22, 2011 @ 12:43
    Rich Green

I'm pretty sure the front end needs access to the database to obtain any Media items.

Rich

Sep 22, 2011 @ 12:55
    Kishore

Thanks Lee & Rich for the confirmation.

Much appreciated your help.

Kishore

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft