Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Bentzen 83 posts 145 karma points
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 23:28
    Martin Bentzen

Unique member loginname

Should a loginname for members be unique?

I have an Umbraco installation, which is upgraded from 3.0.6 to 4.0.2.1. Then some of the members complains, that they are getting logged ind as other members, which is <span style="text-decoration: underline;">very bad</span>...

I have some members with the same loginname, but different password

It was no problem in version 3 and prior, so I guess the asp.net membershipprovider is handle this a bit different.

Help, please

Martin

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jun 24, 2009 @ 23:42
    Morten Bock

Well, in general I think it is a really bad idea that they have the same usernames. How are you getting the member info that you are displaying? It could be that there somewhere in the code is a GetMemberByLoginName() call, which would probably just get the fisrt match of the membername. Are you positively sure that they are getting logged in as the wrong person, or are they perhaps just seeing another persons info?

• Dennis Milandt 190 posts 517 karma points
    Jun 25, 2009 @ 09:13
    Dennis Milandt

As far as I remember, the umbraco ui in v3 didn't check for unique member names. You would have to do that yourself. This would obviously cause trouble when people are logging in and their login name matches more than one member.

Using the ASP.NET Membership provider you cannot have duplicate usernames.

Jun 25, 2009 @ 09:40
    Martin Bentzen

Hmm, well, then I have a houge job in front of me renaming dublicate usernames/loginnames, and inform the members.

The members is originally importet into V3 through the API, and noting indicated at that time, that it was a problem with equls loginnames/usernames.

Morten: I am very sure that they are loggin in as another person. They use their own username and password, but seems to keep track of the member by the loginname, and as it is not uniqe, the first member with the loginname is used for authorization and so on. I'm not in front of the installation right now, but as far as I remember, the Membership.GetUser().ProviderUserKey is showing the wrong ID, and not the ID of the member signed in.

It would maybe be a good idea if GetMemberByLoginName() throw an exception if more than one member is matching the loginname/username, so this scenario won't happens. 

Martin

Jun 25, 2009 @ 20:55
    Martin Bentzen

I've just created this as an issue, as I think the function GetMemberByLoginName(username) should check if there are more than one occurrence with that username.

Please vote it up...
    http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=23248

• jefferycxl 35 posts 83 karma points
    Jun 29, 2009 @ 19:43
    jefferycxl

Hi guys & girls

I want to write my own member registration and login server control.

Because I need to collect some additional information from users.

Does anybody know some good code sample or document that can help me to start with.

http://www.airforcewing.com

Thanks & Regards,

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Jun 30, 2009 @ 03:07
    Aaron Powell

Please start your own thread if you have your own questions

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft