Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• v456 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 12:14
    v456

Writing an image to an image media element using the MediaService

Hello,

I already found these two topics on how umbraco stores media elements. [1] [2]

I'm able to create a new media element (Type: Image) using the Umbraco MediaService with the following code:

MediaService.mediaServiceSoapClient MediaClient = new MediaService.mediaServiceSoapClient("mediaServiceSoap", string.Format("{0}umbraco/webservices/api/MediaService.asmx", ConnectionURL));
    MediaService.mediaCarrier item = new MediaService.mediaCarrier();
    /* set item properties like ParentId and TypeId ... */
    int newId = MediaClient.create(item, ConnectionUser, ConnectionPassword);

Now I want to write the content of the media element, which should be an image.

Image img = Image.FromFile(@"C:\myimage.png");
    MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream();
    img.Save(ms, ImageFormat.Png);
    MediaClient.writeContents(newId, "myimage.png", ms.ToArray(), ConnectionUser, ConnectionPassword);

The media element is created, but after I write the content to the element, the property item.MediaProperties[0].PropertyValue (should be "umbracoFile") shows "'/media/myfile.png", but when I check the file system, I can't locate myfile.png at this location. Also, Umbraco is not able to show/load the image in the web interface.

When I upload files using the web interface, Umbraco stores the image to such locations: "/media/xxx/myfile.png" where xxx is a generated (?) number.

Now, how can I upload images correctly ("write content") "into" a media element using the MediaService?

Thanks in advance!

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 12:52
    Rich Green

Hey,

When Media gets added to Umbraco alot happens behind the scenes (creating a thumbnail, adding the directories etc.)

Something like this:

// Adds to media section in umbraco
                    string fileId = doc.getProperty("imageAlias").Id.ToString();
                    string directory = Server.MapPath(string.Format("/media/" + fileId + "/"));
                    string filef = fileUpload.FileName;
                    var ext = filef.Substring(filef.LastIndexOf(".") + 1, filef.Length - filef.LastIndexOf(".") - 1).ToLower();
                    var fileNameWOExt = filef.Substring(0, filef.Length - (ext.Length + 1));
                    string fullFilePath = directory + filename;
                    //Adds a thumb for viewing in umbraco
                    string fileNameThumb = _fullFilePath.Replace("." + ext, "thumb");
                    thumbBMP.Save(directory + fileNameWOExt + "thumb.jpg");

System.IO.FileInfo fi = new FileInfo(fullFilePath);

Media m = null;
                    m = Media.MakeNew(
                        fileNameWOExt, MediaType.GetByAlias("image"), User.GetUser(0), 1377); //last property is the id of parent folder
                    string mediaPath = "/media/" + fileId + "/" + fileUpload.FileName;
                    m.getProperty("umbracoWidth").Value = newWidth.ToString();
                    m.getProperty("umbracoHeight").Value = newHeight.ToString();
                    m.getProperty("umbracoFile").Value = mediaPath;
                    m.getProperty("umbracoExtension").Value = ext;
                    m.getProperty("umbracoBytes").Value = fi.Length.ToString();

Does that help?

Rich

• v456 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 08, 2011 @ 14:39
    v456

Hi Rich, thank you very much for your response!

My problem is probably the fileId mentioned in your example above. When I want to write content via the MediaService, I can just specify the following parameters:

writeContents(int id, string filename, byte[] contents, string username, string password)

In my example, this would look like this:

MediaClient.writeContents(newId,"myimage.png", ms.ToArray(),ConnectionUser,ConnectionPassword);

I assumed that this method changes the content of the media element with the Id "newId", but it does not. When I look up the media element using the web interface, it says that the content (value of umbracoFile) is located at "/media/myimage.png" (not like usually at "/media/xxx/myimage.png"), but it's not.

Generally, I'm talking about the WebService API, not the API used internally by Umbraco.

Thanks in advance!

• Santanaf 6 posts 26 karma points
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 22:48
    Santanaf

We are having this same issue, any resolution to this? 

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Jan 26, 2012 @ 22:55
    Jeroen Breuer

Hmm I've never tried the webservice API. I do know that the folder name is actually the propertyId. Here is what I use when I create media myself:

Media media = Media.MakeNew(name, mediaType, adminUser, parentId);

string sql = string.Format(@"
            select cpd.id as id from cmsPropertyData cpd
                inner join cmsPropertyType cpt on cpd.propertytypeid = cpt.Id
                inner join cmsDataType cdt on cpt.dataTypeId = cdt.nodeId
            where cpd.contentNodeId = {0}
            and cdt.controlId = '{1}'", media.Id, uploadField.Id);

int propertyId = SqlHelper.ExecuteScalar<int>(sql);

FileInfo file = new FileInfo(IOHelper.MapPath(SystemDirectories.Media + "/" + propertyId + "/" + fileName));

if (!file.Directory.Exists)
    {
        //If the directory doesn't exist then create it.
        file.Directory.Create();
    }

//Write the file to the media folder.
    File.WriteAllBytes(file.FullName, bytes);

For a complete example have a look at the CreateMedia method here: http://damp.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/view/81602#1967018

Jeroen

Jan 27, 2012 @ 01:15
    Santanaf

Actually discovered a bug in the umbraco.webservices project under the MediaService.asmx.cs class.

Line 143 currently reads:

m.getProperty("umbracoFile").Value = SystemDirectories.Media + "/" + filename;'

and should read:

m.getProperty("umbracoFile").Value = SystemDirectories.Media + "/" + m.getProperty("umbracoFile").Id + "/" + filename;

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Jan 27, 2012 @ 10:38
    Jeroen Breuer

Yes that seems to be the problem. Maybe you should report it on codeplex: http://umbraco.codeplex.com/WorkItem/Create

Jeroen

Jan 27, 2012 @ 17:41
    Santanaf

Submitted, feel free to vote up :-) http://umbraco.codeplex.com/workitem/30692

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft