Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• olst 69 posts 88 karma points
    Nov 19, 2011 @ 01:54
    olst

Recommended full text search method for umbraco

Hi.

I'm looking for a way to implement search functionality for umbraco 4.7.1 website.

I would prefer the search to be lucene based.

I've tried so far using the search provided in the package called "Umbraco Full Text Search", but I'm having the following problems with it:

1. I want to put the search functionality in an existing page, and it requires adding a form tag, while my page already includes a form with runat="server" tag. So I tried putting the search form in an iframe, but it's not a solution.

2. How do I show the results in a different page and not the same page the input and button controls of the search ?

3. It does not search protected pages. What I'm trying to do is search a protected page from within the protected area, so that the privacy is not an issue. How is this possible to achieve ?

If anyone has a solution to these problems or any of them, or can recommend a different search package that does address these problems, please post here.

Thanks.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Nov 19, 2011 @ 06:02
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

Umbraco comes with Examine, Examine is a search provider on top of Lucene. Implementing full text search is easy, athough it requires some configuration. This blogpost is a nice starting point.

If you use XSLT as the Macro engine and don't want to index Pdf files. The XsltSearch package might be a great option for you since that is very easy to implement.

Cheers,

Richard

• olst 69 posts 88 karma points
    Nov 19, 2011 @ 19:05
    olst

Hi Richard and thanks for the reply.

I will take a look at the link, but in regards to XSLT, I've read that it scales only up to 1000-2000 nodes, and my site will eventually grow beyond that, so I'm probably looking for something that can scale better.

I know that search that is based on Lucene.net is a good fast solution for this kind of cases, right ?

What are the choices in that case ?

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Nov 21, 2011 @ 08:31
    Richard Soeteman

Ah then XSLTSearch might not be the best then go for Examine, which is based on Lucene. Use the blogpost link in my previous post to setup Examin.

Cheers,

Richard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft