Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul A 133 posts 368 karma points
    Dec 01, 2011 @ 23:14
    Paul A

Creating blog post via API

Hi, 

Does anyone have any pointers on creating blog posts via API/usercontrol? I have a site I want users to be able to log in (not back end) and write their own blogs. I've set up allowing them to create other doctypes,,, but not blog. Is it done the same way (DocumentType dt = DocumentType.GetByAlias("BlogPost")) or is it more complicated than that... Which dlls and libraries do I need? Does it magically create the date-folders for me?

So many questions!

Cheers,

Paul

• Bo Damgaard Mortensen 719 posts 1207 karma points
    Dec 01, 2011 @ 23:33
    Bo Damgaard Mortensen

Hi Paul,

Unless you've installed some sort of package for your blog, you should be creating the whole structure yourself. Structure is important here :-) My structure normally looks like this (for a news archieve as an example:

- News

- News article

- Comments

- Date folder

- Comment

So when the first comment is created, I'm creating the Comments folder, Date folder and the comment itself. Of course I am doing a check if these are created so I won't end up with duplicate nodes in the backend.

Another thing to consider is the amount of nodes that will be created over time. If you end up with 500 nodes every week, I think it would be worth considering a custom database or custom tables in the Umbraco database for this. Reason being that the content tree *can* be slow when containing a huge amount of nodes (we're talking thousands here)

Hope it makes sense.

All the best,

Bo

• Paul A 133 posts 368 karma points
    Dec 06, 2011 @ 14:51
    Paul A

Thanks for the reply,,, I wasn't sure if the blog4umbraco package allowed you to create blog post via API... It's a fairly simple blog structure I'm after so I just built it myself (don't need datefolders etc).

Cheers,

• Stephen 204 posts 246 karma points
    Dec 07, 2011 @ 11:02
    Stephen

I would be using Blog4Umbraco or Ublogsy and you could create multiple blogs for each person and have them use the word document approaching for each person and based on thier login give them persmission on only their blog node.  You could also do this via the API but seems like a lot of work which is already there in the word.

Just my 2 cents...

S

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft