Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• julius 107 posts 289 karma points
    Dec 11, 2011 @ 18:27
    julius

Performance problem: 1.7 seconds between Begin Load and End Load

Hello,

We are optimizing an Umbraco site and we're seeing our site uses 1.7 seconds between "begin load" and "end load". We have used caching to speed up the performance of macro's, but how can we tackle this problem?

Best, Julius

• Thomas Dolberg 74 posts 95 karma points
    Dec 11, 2011 @ 20:22
    Thomas Dolberg

Hi

it is all the stuff that goes on in pages and user controls in page_load. So that would be serverside databinding etc. You can try data caching or identify and add indexes to your DB to improve performance. Macrocaching is only output caching as far as I know. You can also have a look at dottrace, which can help you identify slow code.

/Thomas

Dec 11, 2011 @ 21:02
    julius

We are actually using umbraco caching for some of the xslt macro's, but we use our own custom caching layer to cache the most expensive operations and XSLT queries that are performed in the .NET macro's page_load methods. So we are already caching a lot, actually anything that I could find in our macro's that takes more than 100ms. The rest doesn't add up to 1.7 s in my perception, but I could be wrong. I'll have a look at dottrace. Thanks.

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Dec 11, 2011 @ 22:13
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. Is it possible that some of your templates directly (not through a macro) use a control that consumes lots time on its Page_Load?

• Thomas Dolberg 74 posts 95 karma points
    Dec 11, 2011 @ 22:35
    Thomas Dolberg

I think that dottrace or Eqatec Profiler (http://www.eqatec.com/Profiler/) might identify whatever it is that takes time on page_load. Eqatec is free and is what I started with and gave me some very useful insight into my code (I also had some long running code in page_load).

/Thomas

Dec 11, 2011 @ 23:31
    julius

@Rodion: I think we're not using any .NET controls other than the ones we include with macro's, but I'll have a look just to be sure.

@Thomas:  I have just downloaded and installed a free 10 day trial of dotTrace. Let's see what it can find :) I am not too familiair with these tools, but I found a video here that should get me started.

thanks for your suggestions.

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Sep 06, 2012 @ 19:48
    Connie DeCinko

@Julius,

What were you able to determine?  We are having similar performance issues,  Production drags, dev runs quick.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft