Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• munyung 6 posts 26 karma points
    Mar 05, 2012 @ 18:09
    munyung

Master.FindControl returns null on everything when wrapped with ContentPlaceHolderDefault

First time umbraco dev here.

i'm trying to set a class on my body element thats found on the first master page.

How i have it set up right now is

page.master -> landing.master -> content.master

based on what the content type is, the body's class attribute has to be changed. 

so i'v made a recursive method to find the correct master page for me(in this case, page.master) and change the class for the body element. everything works fine.

and then i wrap it with

asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" runat="server"

in the @master directive, i have MasterPageFile="~/umbraco/masterpages/default.master"

then the FindControl method returns null on everything.

i cannot for the life of me figure out whats wrong.

another side effect of the wrap is that i lose all my intellisense for the asp and umbraco namespace.

Mar 06, 2012 @ 10:19
    munyung

anyone?

• Asif Malik 203 posts 339 karma points
    Mar 06, 2012 @ 14:43
    Asif Malik

Not sure if this helps but most of the time i add a class to my body tag dependant on what the DocuemntType is (i normally add the actual DocumentType name to the body's class attribute) ... and i use a simple XSLT to provide the data

<body class="<umbraco:Macro Alias='CssBodyClass' runat='server'></umbraco:Macro>">

and then the XSLT is simply ... you can off course add extar logic here if need be

<xsl:template match="/">
        <xsl:value-of select="name($currentPage)"/>
      </xsl:template>

Mar 06, 2012 @ 17:28
    munyung

Thanks for that Asif.

I think the bigger problem here is that the FindControl() method suddenly returns null on everything when i wrap the base master page with the

"asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolderDefault" to allow canvas editing to work.

• Asif Malik 203 posts 339 karma points
    Mar 06, 2012 @ 17:34
    Asif Malik

To be honest havent really used Canvas editing, and i activly try to discourage usage of it ... If you really need to work this out, i would suggest getting the Umbraco source code and debugging through the entire thing

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft