Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phil Crowe 192 posts 256 karma points
    Mar 20, 2012 @ 14:41
    Phil Crowe

Count number of documents that have value in property

I needed a quick way of querying the database via c# to count how many documents under a certain parent have a term in the property called category (this is a checkbox list datatype). I have done it in xslt via the following:

<xsl:variable name="looks" select="umbraco.library:GetXmlNodeById(5164)" />

count($looks/MemberLook [@isDoc and contains(Exslt.ExsltStrings:uppercase(category),Exslt.ExsltStrings:uppercase($cat))]) &gt; 0

Whats the fastest way to do this query in c#. I have been trying to tackle it in sql but the umbraco db is way to complex.

• Rodion Novoselov 694 posts 859 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 10:24
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. You mean "Razor" saying "C#", don't you? Then e.g.:

var count = Library.NodeById(5164).MemberLooks.Where("Category.ToUpper().Contains(@0)", cat.ToUpper()).Count();
  • Phil Crowe 192 posts 256 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 13:36
    Phil Crowe

Hi, well i havent used razor before but if it works ill try it. What you posted however doesnt seem to work. what namespaces should be referenced for it to work?

Mar 21, 2012 @ 13:48
    Rodion Novoselov

Hi. What error are you reported?

• Grant Thomas 291 posts 324 karma points
    Mar 21, 2012 @ 13:54
    Grant Thomas

Perhaps the 'MemberLooks' children should be accessed via camel-case:

var sectionRoot = Library.NodeById(5164);
    var filteredMemberLooks = sectionRoot.memberLooks.Where("category.ToUpper().Contains(@0)", category.ToUpper());
    var filteredMemberLooksCount = filteredMemberLooks.Count()

As a side note, when comparing strings in this manner you most likely should always use 'string.ToUpperInvariant', to avoid culture sensitivity in matches - not sure Umbraco 5 supports it, though.

Mar 21, 2012 @ 14:06
    Rodion Novoselov

I don't think so - as far as i remember dynamic properties in umbraco are case-insensitive.

You can also try to rewrite it without child-plural syntax, sort of:

Library.NodeById(5164).Children.Where("NodeTypeAlias = @0 and Category.ToUpper().Contains(@1)", "memberLook", cat.ToUpper()).Count()

Mar 21, 2012 @ 14:09
    Grant Thomas

Oh, 'AND' support? How counter-intuitive!

When I started with v5 I instinctively tried '&&' and '||' (as one would expect to work, given the C# and Linq-style environment), neither of which worked.

I won't believe this works until I see it, though. (;

Update:

Part 4 of the Razor walkthrough states that boolean logic works in the standard ampersand and pipe form:

Using string comparisons and boolean logic (|| [or], && [and]) - also shows how to nest strings
    @Model.Children.Where("menuType == \"Top Menu\ || menuType == \"Bottom Menu\"")

There isn't an example on that page using text-based equivalents 'and' and 'or'.

Also note that Part 3 of the Razor walkthrough mentions that:

Warning: the property access is case sensitive. Make sure you check your case.

Granted, this is in the 'Xml Properties' section, but one would expect conventions to be followed consistently.

Mar 21, 2012 @ 14:16
    Rodion Novoselov

That's dynamic LINQ statement parsed in the runtime - they support both "&&" and "and" tokens if I'm not wrong.

Mar 21, 2012 @ 14:18
    Grant Thomas

I know what it is, I'm saying the format is counter-intuitive.

Mar 21, 2012 @ 14:34
    Rodion Novoselov

Yeah, I've just checked it - I was wrong talking about case-insensitivityness though not completely. It's actually case-sensitive but not to the case of the first letter of a property name. I thought so since actually have never got a reason to alter letter cases other than one of the first letter.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft