Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Sørensen 12 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 27, 2012 @ 09:24
    Martin Sørensen

Umbraco 4.7.1.1 MediaService

I'm working on a new 4.7.1.1 website. I need to import a lot of content and images from the old website.

I was planning on using the MediaService for batch uploading the many images and then storing the Umbraco Image Id's in a local temp file, so I can map the new Image Id's to the exsisting content before I import this into Umbraco.

When I access the MediaService (.../umbraco/webservices/api/mediaservice.asmx) of my website, I just get an error:

Parser Error Message: Could not create type 
    'umbraco.webservices.media.mediaService'.

I've tried to search the forum, but I cannot seem to find anyone with the same problem - am I missing the obvious? :-)

• Joshua D. Stewart 34 posts 84 karma points
    Apr 28, 2012 @ 06:35
    Joshua D. Stewart

This error is occuring because the umbraco.webservices.dll is missing from your bin folder. I ran into this exact problem just now as well.

For some reason this DLL has been left out of the Umbraco webdeploy packages and binaries as far back as 4.5.2. You'll need to download the Umbaco Source code for 4.7.1.1 from codeplex - http://umbraco.codeplex.com/releases/view/73692 and compile it. Then you can copy the umbraco.webservices.dll to the bin folder on your website.

You also need to add the following under the <webservices enabled="True"> section in the umbracoSettings.config
     <mediaServiceUsers>admin</mediaServiceUsers>

where admin is whatever user you want to enable user-rights for.

Hope this helps.

• Martin Sørensen 12 posts 32 karma points
    Apr 30, 2012 @ 08:47
    Martin Sørensen

Hi Joshua

Thank a lot - problem solved :-)

• Joshua D. Stewart 34 posts 84 karma points
    May 03, 2012 @ 21:01
    Joshua D. Stewart

Hi Martin,

You're welcome. I'm glad I could help. :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft