Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Duncan 8 posts 28 karma points
    Jun 03, 2012 @ 20:46
    Duncan

Couple of newbie questions :P

Hey; it would be really great if someone could help me with these things which are pobably pretty simple :-)

1. How to simply add new pages, and change the menu structure (order) for the site.
    2. I'm currently using the sample business website template that ships with Umbraco (the friendly ghost one). Any idea how to shift the writing on the very top left hand side in order to accomadate a larger image than the 34*34 little ghost silhouette?
    3. On the install of Umbraco I attempted to use my own MySQL database. Put in the server url (http://panel.byethost.com/), my username for the server and password, name of the blank database which I had previously created, but no joy. :-( I triple checked to ensure that all my information was correct, and attempted a couple of variations; any suggestions?
    4. On the blog sample page I followed the steps listed to install blog 4. Although I can see and edit this blog in the Content section of Umbraco - it doesn't seem to be in any way integrated with the sample site...?

Any help with the above would be much appreciated!

• Pedro Adão 43 posts 80 karma points
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 11:31
    Pedro Adão

"How to simply add new pages, and change the menu structure (order) for the site."

In Umbraco BO, right click on the tree, click create. To order items, do the same but select the option "Sort".

Jun 04, 2012 @ 11:33
    Pedro Adão

"I'm currently using the sample business website template that ships with Umbraco (the friendly ghost one). Any idea how to shift the writing on the very top left hand side in order to accomadate a larger image than the 34*34 little ghost silhouette?"

I don't know what is the macro name (cshtml or xslt or ascx), but you can do a find for the html class name in your solution. It will open the macro containing the html you are looking for.

Jun 04, 2012 @ 11:41
    Duncan

Hi Pedro - thanks for the response.

However, when I attempt to create anything, from almost any section of the content tree (with the exclusion of the blog folder) there are absolutely no document types available. I have attempted to create my own document types to rectify the problem, but they too are absent from the create dialog box. :-(

Jun 04, 2012 @ 11:57
    Pedro Adão

Hi Duncan,

That is very strange. Please do it again but with another browser. Hope it helps!

• Rik Helsen 670 posts 873 karma points
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 13:14
    Rik Helsen

Duncan: on the top level you should be able to create any node of any type that exists.

On any other level, you have to define what nodes can be created where. If you didn't do this, the create node dialog will appear als blank. You allow documenttypes to be created in the "Structure" tab of your document type.

Jun 04, 2012 @ 13:17
    Rik Helsen

about your sql question, i doubt "http://panel.byethost.com/" is the url for your sql server, this is the path to your admin panel (not the same thing)

About the ghost image, this is a template / css question, look at the masterpage to see where the size is defined, check if the image is stored in a large enough resolution, and make the required changes in the css file, template - or upload a larger image.

About the "blog" not showing up in the navigation: different packages aren't always aware of eachother, so it's possible that you have to move the blog you installed to a different location in your site structure (content section) to show up in the navigation. It's possible that you need to allow this type of node to exist at the target location, using the "Structure" tab I mention in my previous reaction.

Jun 04, 2012 @ 15:10
    Duncan

Hey Rik: you're right - at the top level I can create items. Weirdly enough Umbrago complains if I try to move them into a branch of the tree saying that "The current node is not allowed under the chosen node because of its type" - even though I know this to be untrue as there are other items of the same type under the particular node! :D

But I don't mind, I suppose, having additional pages outside of my site's "folder" if I can include it in the inbuilt menu on the website. All I have to do is find the javascript for the menu (I'm assuming javascript), copy paste, change the href and cross my fingers... o.O 

You're also right about the other being a css question. I'll have to find whatever positioning system it's using so I can comfortably increase the image size without it overlapping with text... or... brainwave: remove the text altogether, but instead include the text in the uploaded image!

How do you upvote replies btw?

Jun 04, 2012 @ 15:16
    Rik Helsen

in case of not being able to move the content - you can rest assured that you overlooked something somewhere regarding the "structure" tab of your document types ;) happens to all of us at some point ;)

Upvoting replies and selected answers is done to the right of posts

• Andrew 19 posts 39 karma points
    Jun 04, 2012 @ 22:59
    Andrew

From one newbie to another, make sure you click "Save" every time you edit or create a document type. I'm always forgetting to do that and then wondering why things don't work.

You can also check the "Allowed Child NodeTypes" for your Document Types to see if anything is amiss. Just click on the document type and select the "Structure" tab.

Jun 05, 2012 @ 11:56
    Duncan

Yes Andrew: the lack of prompt to save is a little disconcerting at first!

One final question on this subject. 

Does anyone know where the javascript for the menu system is likely to be found? I tried searching for a couple of links that are currently in the menu system (e.g. sample.asp), but neither windows nor Umbraco returned anything of any use...

Jun 05, 2012 @ 12:03
    Duncan

Oh: to answer my own question I believe that the code

<!-- 

<ul id="topNavigation">

<li class="home">

<xsl:if test="$currentPage/@id = $currentPage/ancestor-or-self::* [@level=$level]/@id">

<xsl:attribute name="class">home current</xsl:attribute>

</xsl:if>

<a href="/">Home</a>

</li>

<xsl:for-each select="$currentPage/ancestor-or-self::* [@level=$level]/* [@isDoc and string(umbracoNaviHide) != '1']">

<li>

<xsl:if test="@id = $currentPage/@id">

<xsl:attribute name="class">current</xsl:attribute>

</xsl:if>

<a class="navigation" href="{umbraco.library:NiceUrl(@id)}">

<span><xsl:value-of select="@nodeName"/></span>

</a>

</li>

</xsl:for-each>

</ul>

-->

is responsible for the main menu system.

I'm a little bit disappointing as it looks... nigh on impossible to just slot additional menu items directly into the code. 

Emm

Jun 05, 2012 @ 12:40
    Duncan

To answer my own question again!

The particular node's child node permissions needed to be edited in documents to allow new pages (notwithstanding previosuly existing pages). Such privileges are not apparently inherited by child nodes.

The above code immediately takes new nodes into account, which actually makes life easier as it means that manually adding new code is circumvented.

• Andrew 19 posts 39 karma points
    Jun 05, 2012 @ 18:17
    Andrew

That XSLT is responsible for rendering the top level navigation, but it's getting it's data from the documents in the content area, so it doesn't create anything. It just loops through each document at the top level and writes it to a <li> tag, unless "umbracoNaviHide" is set to true. The only way to add content, besides really complicated database DDL statements is to use the content area. But it sounds like you've sorted out the problem.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft