Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Timsn 121 posts 231 karma points
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 12:39
    Timsn

Visual Studio integration

I've seen the podcast about visual studio integration to edit and create templates, xslt, usercontrols and css. After doing some research I can't find anything about it. Has it been released yet?

I would really love to do this stuff with visual studio support.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 12:46
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Tim,

I thought this was scheduled for the 4.1 release of Umbraco. Not 100% sure about that . I am 100% sure that this is not released yet. Visual Studio support is an awesome feature indeed

Cheers,

Richard

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 12:57
    Sebastiaan Janssen

You can actually do all of this in Visual Studio already (see my blogpost for an example of how to set-up your project).

The only problem is when you're developing with multiple people and do not share a database, the master pages don't get registered properly I believe. The simple solution (for now) is for the other developer to open up the master page and save it. 

Jul 31, 2009 @ 13:35
    Timsn

Hi Sebastiaan,

as far as I can overview your example this is great for debugging usercontrols on a local machine. But the feature I'm looking for is to automatic load all your exsisting files of your umbraco webpage into visual studio (css files, xslt files, templates and so on) and be able to edit them.
    So you don't have to use your browser to edit something in your code. Just strike STRG + S in visual studio (or click a button or what ever) and your changes are live. And to have the full power of Visual Studio.

That's what the podcast was showing and I hope this will be possible sometime :)

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 13:36
    Richard Soeteman

@ sebastiaan With the demo on CodeGarden Templates where inserted into the database also. That is one thing that is not possible at this moment. and that would be very cool to have.

Cheers,

Richard

PS: I like the blogpost you wrote.

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 13:43
    Sebastiaan Janssen

@Timsn yes, it is mainly for debuggin, but this immediately allows you to edit all of the things you want in VS. You only have to add the "UmbracoFramework" and not the "UmbracoModules" project. However, I think you might need to do some custom development in the future, so it would be a small time investment to make a modules project as well.

Thanks Richard! :)

Jul 31, 2009 @ 14:20
    Timsn

@sebastiaan, sounds good, I'll try that. Maybe it's getting me way closer to what I want to do with VS than I thought. Thanks.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Jul 31, 2009 @ 15:37
    Niels Hartvig

I hope to release the VS templates + macros shown in the video during this fall, presumely along with the 4.1 schedule.

The project was some work I did for R&D for Courier 2.0 coming later this year with 100% VS integration on (almost) every thing (ie. create templates, macros, etc. directly from VS.NET - YAY!).

Jul 31, 2009 @ 15:48
    Timsn

That would be awesome! Looking forward to the release :)

Thank you Niels.

• Connie DeCinko 931 posts 1160 karma points
    Aug 07, 2010 @ 00:21
    Connie DeCinko

Was this feature ever released?  Is it supported in v.4.5.1?

• John 115 posts 150 karma points
    Aug 12, 2010 @ 04:48
    John

Hello, I am noobie and I would like to know too (I am still trawling the forum to find out how).

I know the rest of the world loves browsers, but geez, developing in one is really retarded...I feel like I work in a government department or something....

Anyway if anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate them too!

Thank you.

• Aaron Powell 1708 posts 3046 karma points c-trib
    Aug 12, 2010 @ 05:25
    Aaron Powell

I don't believe there are any plans for this to be released any time soon. I know some other devs have looked at building integration tools for VS but it's really quite a lot of time that needs to be invested.

But you don't need any kind of 3rd party component to edit in VS, I'm not sure I've ever used the in-browser editor to do anything for Umbraco, I only work in VS. You can either run through a local IIS or Cassini, what ever you prefer.

Matt has a pretty good write up on his blog about how he does it and I've left a comment there which explains how I do it: http://blog.mattbrailsford.com/2010/07/14/visual-studio-project-structure-for-umbraco/

• John 115 posts 150 karma points
    Aug 13, 2010 @ 01:50
    John

Thanks Slace,

I have now read through those, I guess that will be the way I end up doing things too, so working through that now and will see how I go. I see also that there are also some similar ways shown on the wiki.

Thank you!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft