Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• andles 44 posts 64 karma points
    Jul 25, 2012 @ 13:17
    andles

Best way to reload cmsContentXml

Hi

I am doing some work directly against the cmsContentXml table (as in, updating the xml directly instead of using the API's). This is all working fine courtesy of sql's xml functions - but I'm not sure what is the best way to cause these changes to take effect in the Umbraco Admin UI?

Is this known to be a slow process, and should it be done via scheduling as opposed to real time??

I cannot use the Umbraco API's to modify the nodes as the operations are across many many nodes and very update intensive (tried that way first). 

Cheers,
    Andy

• Douglas Ludlow 210 posts 366 karma points
    Jul 25, 2012 @ 14:49
    Douglas Ludlow

Changes made to the cmsContentXml or the umbraco.config xml cache will not alter the rest of Umbraco as the are directly generated from the content in the other tables. The best way to update content globally is through the Umbraco API, that's why it's there. If you find that your update scripts are timing out, you can use the suggestions in this post to increase the server timeout period. Aproaching it any other way would be to risk corrupting your database.

Jul 26, 2012 @ 03:15
    andles

Thanks Douglas - though I have been down that road already. The API's are inefficient and extremely slow at this scale.

There arent that many tables in Umbraco, so it shouldnt be difficult to make the updates this way - safely. I suppose the only source of docuemtation here would be the source code of Umbraco itself?

I'm sure I have seen quite a few posts in here where people have done this succesfully? Though no specific answers found to my question here re: best way to republish.

Cheers,

Andy

Jul 26, 2012 @ 03:24
    andles

Hi Douglas,

I just found the below info on the umbraco help:

"Publish" takes content from the database tables and creates an xml version of it, which is then pushed to the xml cache and saved in a table in the database for easy future access. 

"Republish" only fetches pre-saved xml from the database, so this is a much quicker operation, but does not include any content not already converted to xml. Republish is used to ensure the xml cache is in sync with the published data in the database. This is also used to restore the umbraco.config file in case it's not being updated during publishing.

So it seems, assuming that by 'saved xml' refers to the cmsContentXml table, I should be safe with a re-publish.

All I need to do here is is encrypt sensetive information after a user has submitted a test. I'm not actually adding any nodes, just altering the contents of a few of them (though several thousand or more at a time)

Cheers,

Andy

• Braydie 148 posts 346 karma points
    Aug 22, 2012 @ 13:09
    Braydie

Hi Andles, 

Did you figure this out in the end? I'm currently facing a similar issue in that I can update the content in the database and (upon republishing) see it on the front end of the site... however, when I view the updated page in the back end my changes aren't there....

Thanks,

Braydie

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft