Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nathan 16 posts 38 karma points
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 17:53
    Nathan

How to handle 1:1 and m:n content relationships

I'm having trouble understanding how you can assign multiple items of one document type to another.  Lets say I have I have a list of doctors that can belong to several specialties.  If I create a specialty document type, how do I go about assigning n number of specialties to a doctor?  I'll need to be able to list all doctors for a particular specialty as well.

Here's the site and required taxonomy I'd like to convert to Umbraco if it helps to visualize: http://bit.ly/2Bdbtf

Mainly looking at how to handle the providers, locations and specialties (similar scenarios).

Thanks for any advice.

Nathan

• Chris Koiak 700 posts 2626 karma points
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 18:02
    Chris Koiak

Hi Nathan,

Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't think about your providers, locations, etc as document types. You would create pages for each provider, location, etc.These could all be of doc type 'TaxonomyCategory'.

You would then link (via the ultimatepicker or similar) the doctor pages to these pages.

If the ultimate picker doesn't work for you could try the RelatedLinks data type instead.

Cheers,

Chris

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 18:30
    Douglas Robar

I agree with Chris.

Alternatively, create some new Data Types for provider, location, etc. Base them on a checkbox list. Add some prevalues to the data types. Then add the datatypes to your doctor docType.

There are pros and cons to each approach but these would be the two common ways to address this kind of issue.

cheers,
    doug.

• Nathan 16 posts 38 karma points
    Aug 07, 2009 @ 20:23
    Nathan

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll play around with that approach.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft