Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jonathan Lathigee 56 posts 99 karma points
    Sep 01, 2012 @ 18:39
    Jonathan Lathigee

Add Last Login to member

I've followed the instructions from the Umbraco tv tutorial at:

http://umbraco.com/help-and-support/video-tutorials/developing-with-umbraco/events/set-a-last-login-date-on-member-on-login.aspx

But I don't seem to be firing that AfterAddToCache member event when my member logs in.

I'm running 4.8.1. I noticed that ApplicationBase has been deprecated in favour of ApplicationStartupHandler, so I'm using that instead:

using System;
    using umbraco.businesslogic;
    using umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member;

namespace zo.umbraco.LastLogin
    {
        public class MemberEvent : ApplicationStartupHandler
        {
            public MemberEvent()
            {
                Member.AfterAddToCache += new Member.AddingToCacheEventHandler(Member_AfterAddToCache);
            }

void Member_AfterAddToCache(Member sender, global::umbraco.cms.businesslogic.AddToCacheEventArgs e)
            {
                sender.getProperty("lastLogin").Value = DateTime.Now;
                sender.Save();
            }
        }
    }

I build this assembly (empty website project, with just the single .cs file), and copy the .dll into the bin folder of the umbraco install, and restart the app.

I then have a member type with an additional property: lastLogin of type datepicker with time.

I tried adding exceptions to my code above, just to see if it's firing, as well as attaching to the webmatrix instance with the VS2010 debugger, and in both cases, it looks like my code just isn't firing.

I looked through the Member class a bit, and see that many properties are deprecated ("MakeNew", "GetMemberFromEmail", etc etc), so I was worried that maybe that Umbraco tv video is just out of date but the events all seem to be the same as they were then.

Can someone please tell me how to subscribe to an event in umbraco 4.8.1 so that my code will fire, and also how to fire code when a member logs into secured pages in umbraco

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Sep 03, 2012 @ 12:37
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

I haven't tried the new ApplicationStartupHandler yet, but if that doesn't work you could still try the ApplicationBase off course.

The Member class properties might be deprecated, but they still work and I'm still using them if I'm using members in Umbraco. There's even a little discussion about it here: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-63.

Jeroen

• Jonathan Lathigee 56 posts 99 karma points
    Sep 08, 2012 @ 01:17
    Jonathan Lathigee

Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for your guidance, but I'm still having issues. I reverted back to inheriting from ApplicationBase, but the Member events are still not being hit. At first I thought maybe my whole class was not firing, so I also added some logging on a document event per below:

using System;
    //using umbraco.businesslogic;
    using umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member;
    using umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web;
    using umbraco.BusinessLogic;

namespace Samples
    {
        //public class MemberEvent : ApplicationStartupHandler
        public class MemberEvent : umbraco.BusinessLogic.ApplicationBase
        {
            public MemberEvent() 
            { 
                Member.AfterAddToCache += new Member.AddingToCacheEventHandler(Member_AfterAddToCache);
                Document.BeforePublish += new Document.PublishEventHandler(Document_BeforePublish);
                Member.BeforeAddToCache += new Member.AddingToCacheEventHandler(Member_BeforeAddToCache);
            }

void Member_BeforeAddToCache(Member sender, umbraco.cms.businesslogic.AddToCacheEventArgs e)
            {
                Log.Add(LogTypes.Debug, sender.Id, "Member_BeforeAddToCache");
            }

void Document_BeforePublish(Document sender, umbraco.cms.businesslogic.PublishEventArgs e)
            {
                Log.Add(LogTypes.Debug, sender.Id, "Document_BeforePublish");
            }

void Member_AfterAddToCache(Member sender, global::umbraco.cms.businesslogic.AddToCacheEventArgs e)
            {
                Log.Add(LogTypes.Debug, sender.Id, "Member_AfterAddToCache");
                sender.getProperty("lastLogin").Value = DateTime.Now;
                sender.Save();
            }
        }
    }

These new document event *IS BEING FIRED*; when I publish a document, it ends up in the log. The member events still are not. Has something changed in 4.8.1 that would cause this? I've never actually attached to these events before (in previous versions of Umbraco), so I don't know that it ever worked... Is there another way to do this that I should be doing?

Thanks in advance

Jonathan

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 00:35
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

I've never used those events so I don't know when they are fired. Perhaps the member has other events you can use?

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft