Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 13, 2012 @ 21:05
    Peter

Odd errors in Vs 2012 when opening as a web site during build web site and best practices

Hello,

When i open a umbraco 4.9 web site in VS 2012 i get errors during "build web site" (is this even required for a web site project?) - which seem to suddenly appear as i use and modify the site, but the errors do not seem to be related to any of the code changes I do.

One error which frequently is popping up is something related to startIndex cannot be greater than length but it doesn't say which file is the problem.

Has anyone experienced something similar and know how to fix this?

The build is also fairly slow, it seems like there is a validation phase involved for web site projects.

And being fairly new to Umbraco, what is the best way to handle an umbraco web site in VS?

Should i do a manual conversion from Web site project to a Web application project by (among other things) move all the dlls out of bin and reference them in the project?

• Jeppe Andreasen 10 posts 30 karma points
    Oct 15, 2012 @ 10:37
    Jeppe Andreasen

Well I would certainly recommend switching to a web application project type instead ( for any project ) to get rid of the dll hell a web site project creates. It is actually very easy, just right click on the project in solution explorer and choose "Convert to web application project".

As for the dll's you should create a repository folder outside of your website folder, and reference the dll's from there. Visual Studio sometimes clears the bin folder when you do a rebuild, but if your dll's are referenced they will be added back in.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft