Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Warren 30 posts 95 karma points
    Jan 30, 2013 @ 20:17
    Warren

Could not load file or assembly 'Umbraco.Core'

Hi
    This error has occured twice now. Both times directly following a re-build of my project.

The only way I have fixed the problem is going to a backup of my .net project and copying it over my existing directory structure. This is not ideal because I can lose changes to my templates, user controls, etc.

Can anyone tell my why it is happening ?

Umbraco version: umbraco v 4.10.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.4701.29088)

I have checked to make sure the core files do stil exist in the bin directory. Here is a copy of my bin directory.

Many thanks

Warren

Feb 01, 2013 @ 01:35
    Warren

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? As it has just happened again.

I have made code changes so I dont want to have to copy back a backup of the solution folder over my site.

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Feb 01, 2013 @ 02:28
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Warren

Have you done (or can youdo) an absolute compare of the BIN directory before and after you build ?

Maybe taking a full copy before you do a build and then using software like Beyond Compare (free trial period) to compare the original copy to the updated copy to try and identify differences.

Good luck

Nigel

Feb 01, 2013 @ 02:44
    Warren

I was about to head down that path, so I will let you know how I go.
    I have used code compare to check the web.config file, and that has not changed.
    And I have also delete the contents in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v-xxx\Temporary ASP.NET Files.

I am using Visual Stuido Express 2012.

Feb 01, 2013 @ 03:11
    Warren

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the tip on the "Beyond Compare" software. Works extemely well.

For what ever reason, as you can see in the screen shot below,  .net suddenly removed alot of dll's from my Bin directory during my build.
    When I copied back my orginal bin directory from my back up, then did a rebuild, it all starting working again.
    The strange thing was that my build told my that there was not a problem, only when I tried to run the website application did it fall over. 

Now if I can just figure out how to stop that from happening, I will be a happy man.
    Because it doesnt happen during every single build it maybe a hard one to  figure out why it is happening.

Thanks for your help Nigel.

• Nigel Wilson 944 posts 2076 karma points
    Feb 01, 2013 @ 03:26
    Nigel Wilson

Hi Warren

What is the structure of your project ? Do you have any Build Events that may be causing the problem ?

Where I work we have the following structure

Project Directory

---- library code (custom functionality for site)

---- site folder (all Umbraco related folders and files, except for the BIN directory)

---- lib (all DLL files associated with the site including default dll's from Umbraco install.

Then as a post-build event we do a copy from the lib to the bin of the site folder using xcopy

xcopy  /s /y "$(SolutionDir)lib\*.*" "$(TargetDir)"

Don't know if this is the best way, but it works nicely for us and ensures all files required in BIN are replicated each time.

Cheers, Nigel

Feb 01, 2013 @ 03:37
    Warren

Thanks

I will keep this solution in mind.

I have not really altered the structure of the default Umbraco structure.
    I keep webservice code in the "App-Code" folder, all of my usercontrols are stored under the "usercontrol" directory, and my razor macros under the "macroScripts" directory.  So I am just using the default structure that comes with Umbraco

many thanks again

Warren

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft