Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dmitrij Jazel 86 posts 179 karma points
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 18:13
    Dmitrij Jazel

Working with members in C#

Hej Guys,

This one should be quite easy...

I just downloaded newest umbraco 6.0 and playing arround with it...

So what I am having trouble with:

Pull out a member from all members by UserName.

Than access it's properties (f.ex. Name)

Than I want to add some other properties (like age, currentLocation and stuff like that...)...

For now I have this...

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.UI;
    using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
    using System.Web.Security;

using umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member;

namespace members_test
    {
        public partial class PublicIndex : System.Web.UI.UserControl
        {
            protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e)
            {
                string mbr_UserName = "pikachiu"
                MembershipUser member = System.Web.Security.Membership.GetUser(mbr_UserName);
                string email = member.Email; // <-- am getting null here!?

//var member =  umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member.Member.GetMemberFromLoginName(mbr_UserName); <!-- this one is considered Obsolete!?...       
    } } }

But for some reason I am getting null pointer exception while accessing MembershipUser

And another Member.getMemberFromLoginName() method says it's obsolete... so not sure what to do here :(

//Dmitrij

Feb 10, 2013 @ 18:18
    Dmitrij Jazel

Edit:

in the line string mbr_UserName ="pikachiu"

I have ";" corrected... string mbr_UserName ="pikachiu";

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Feb 10, 2013 @ 20:13
    Charles Afford

Hey Dmitrij,

Have you checked that a member with the username called 'pikachiu' has been setup in Umbraco.

string mbr_Email ="emailAddressYouSetupForTheUser"

Also what do you get from: MembershipUser member =System.Web.Security.Membership.GetUserNameByEmail(mbr_Email);

I am presuming you are in the umbraco context and hitting the breakpoint?

Charlie. :)

Feb 10, 2013 @ 21:33
    Dmitrij Jazel

Hej Charles :-)

Well yes, I have a Member with UserName "pikachiu".

Regarding

MembershipUser member =System.Web.Security.Membership.GetUserNameByEmail(mbr_Email);

you suggest here.

I am getting the same, I see that I am getting the instance of the member, the problem was that I could not call it's username (or in your case email - got the same issue) ... It needed to have .toString(); method, So when I called toString() on it, it actually works, but I wounder why it needs it, cause ".Email" is of type "string". So it works with .toString() for now...

But than here comes another part of the question - if I choose this approach how can I manage Member properties (like Age, Job, Phone for example...).

Thanks for help :-)

//Dmitrij

Feb 10, 2013 @ 21:48
    Charles Afford

Ah that would atcually make sense 

If instanciated a member and then called the GetUserNameByEmail method you should not have to cast.

You second question is the same problem i am going to come up against next week. There are quite alot of forum posts about it. There does not seem to be a problem manageing the propertys. Create some auto properties Age Job Phone ect and then there should be be a method of the member to assign these. The problem appears to be saving these values back to the database.

Take a look at this post:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/12348-member-profile-problem-45x?p=0#comment76619

Please let me know if you get a solution working :D Thanks.  Charlie :)

Feb 10, 2013 @ 22:10
    Dmitrij Jazel

Hehe :-)

I sure will try, I still look forward to discuss this toppic here until I get it done in the way how it's REALLY supposed to be done! :-)

For now I am sticking to this approach: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/membership-providers

And than I intent to use something called "user profiles" (look in the buttom of the page in that link).

But at the same time I found this [http://www.aaron-powell.com/umbraco-members-profiles] thing here, lots of people discussed here

But the problem is - I don't see the way how can I edit users in from Member administration in Umbraco, cause there are only "username" and email password etc... but if user has a profile picture or googleLocation f.ex... how do I find a way to do that? Is that possible to do through admin pannel, or I have to write my own umbraco section to manage that?

Have a great evening :-)

//Dmitrij

Feb 10, 2013 @ 22:52
    Charles Afford

When you are refering to users?  Do you mean members?  

Users: People who can use umbraco

Members: People who can log into the site.

In Umbraco you can add custom properties to a member, as you would with a datatype.  Then you can interact with these using the member provider.  Having never done this before its going to be something new for me as well.  Will take a look at your resounces.  Thanks.  Charlei :)

Feb 10, 2013 @ 22:53
    Charles Afford

Yea that web config way seems valid.  I think i have read some people have had trouble with saving that information to the database.  But the webconfig way is how i am going to approach it i think :)

Feb 10, 2013 @ 22:57
    Charles Afford

That second link seems a bit of a suspect implimentation.  I just feel there must be an easier way to do it :).  Let me know what you find.  Have a great evening too :)  Charlie :)

Feb 10, 2013 @ 23:08
    Dmitrij Jazel

Hej again charles,

By using "users" I meant Members, and I totally agree with your terminology :-)

Cause the whole thing here is all about members :-)

well aniways... yea sure, I am still sticking to first approach (the correct one) but I am keeping another one just in case.

Let me know if you have some progress aswell :)))

Cheers,

//Dmitrij

Feb 11, 2013 @ 22:51
    Charles Afford

Replied to this in the other topic :)

Feb 11, 2013 @ 22:59
    Dmitrij Jazel

Hej Charls,

yes I see now... thanks for help mate :-)))

I will now try find some time and try actually going step by step in that article yous send me. (we both read last time)

Only difference now I really understand it... :-)

If any more problems will apear, I will let you know in that another post.

Thanks alot for help so far!!! :-)))

Regards,

Dmitrij

Feb 12, 2013 @ 21:35
    Charles Afford

No problem :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft