Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dmitrij Jazel 86 posts 179 karma points
    Feb 11, 2013 @ 00:33
    Dmitrij Jazel

Where membership provider Saves "Member Profile" data?

Hej Guys,

I am trying to work with Umbraco Members here, all I want to do is to find a correct way to use members in Umbraco.

Here http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/membership-providers it says that I have to use Membership profile to manipulate user properties. But than I am not sure where they are saved and how do I manage them from Umbraco administration?

I added all to web.config as needed... all looks fine. But I can't see it added anywhere... not sure where to look for it in the first place. I think it would be really nice to have a nice control over the members through administration.

but

On another hand, when I made "member type" I made the type property with same alias of my "Member Profile" alias called "age". It was not saved there... And I was trying to access this Member type like that:

Member mustMember = Member.GetMemberFromLoginName("pikachiu");

But it says it is obsolete.

And now I am stuck... :-(

//Dmitrij 

P.S. Me and Charles discussed ways to handle Membership briefly here, but didn't get any concrete answer: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/38274-Working-with-members-in-C

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Feb 11, 2013 @ 22:49
    Charles Afford

Hi Dmitrij.  Ok, you need to set properties in umbraco for a member type that your members will iherit from.  You cannot use the umbraco api anymore so use the ASP.net membership provider.

So:  Set the property in Umbraco

Set the property in Webconfig

Create a profile base:

var profile =ProfileBase.Create(your members username);

Set the profile property:

profile["property aliais in web config and umbraco"] = "some value" (Your new class see aaron-powell.com below)

Save the profile property:

.Save();

What this link was suggesting, is what i am now using.  It allows you to get strong typing between your profile properties,

[www.aaron-powell.com/umbraco-members-profiles]

Any problems give me a shout :D.  Charlie :)

• Adam Jenkin 71 posts 226 karma points
    Feb 11, 2013 @ 22:58
    Adam Jenkin

Hi Dmitrij,

I have been doing work with members recently and quite successfully been using the implementation provided by uSiteBuilder - http://usitebuilder.vegaitsourcing.rs/tutorials?id=22454

There are a great set of helper methods for working with members and the strong typing makes life alot easier.

It might be worth a look.

Adam

Feb 12, 2013 @ 23:43
    Dmitrij Jazel

Hej Charles,

Did you got this[http://www.aaron-powell.com/umbraco-members-profiles] to work?

I got strangled with web.config part.

<profiledefaultProvider="UmbracoMemberProfileProvider"enabled="true"inherits="UmbracoMemberDemo.Web.MemberProfile, UmbracoMemberDemo.Web">

Let me exmpalin what I currently have.

I have a local IIS Umbraco application - that basically is an empty local Umbraco instance that I am running via WebMatrix. That is just a simple Umbraco 6.0 installation running locally.

Than I made a project, called "my_Core" that contains all the DLLS for my Member profile, and other data structures I am using here...

I include the refference of "my_Core" to project.

I also tryed to keep and delete autogenerated my_Core namespace decloration but still not working in both cases,

I am getting Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Web' does not exist in the namespace 'umbraco' (are you missing an assembly reference?) Obviously missing refference that I did add.

or 

System.NotSupportedException :(((

Any suggestions? :((( maybe you have working example?

//Dmitrij

Feb 13, 2013 @ 09:50
    Charles Afford

Hi Dmitrij,

The inherits refers to your assembly and codefie and not UmbracoMemberDemo.web.memberprofile, ...

Let me know if that helps.

Charlie :)

Feb 13, 2013 @ 20:00
    Dmitrij Jazel

Hej Charles,

Well yea it should reffer to assembly, as same way umbrac.web.[whatever reference]... but the that is not really the point. He uses "UmbracoMemberDemo" but where did he get this name from, if that is external project, and than he makes reference to that project, well, than not sure why he is using this project aniways, if he just can refer to [Namespace].memberprofile ... cause my namespace does not contain .web. and if he is containing [.web.] this means he is referencing the project.

Hope that makes some kind of sense, does it... :) so again... where is the top name of the project is comming from?

//Dmitrij

Feb 13, 2013 @ 22:08
    Charles Afford

Hey sorry i did not mean to write assembly, its just the namespace and then refrence to the file.  

So whereever the code file in your project is get the name space

and instead of:

UmbracoMemberDemo.Web.MemberProfile, UmbracoMemberDemo.Web

put:

Mynamespace.mynamespace.mycodefile, mynamespace.mynamespace

Hope this makes sense :) Charlie.

Charlie.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft