Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jessica Nordbeck 32 posts 102 karma points
    Feb 26, 2013 @ 09:29
    Jessica Nordbeck

Examine - recycle bin

Hi,

We have an issue with content nodes moved to the recycle bin showing up in the search result. What can we do to avoid this?

I've tried to set the supportUnpublished="false", but it doesn't seem to help. Is there any other configuration that might help us?

We are running Umbraco 4.7.2.

Thanks for any help! :)

//Jessica

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    Feb 26, 2013 @ 09:54
    Tim

I believe you can set the starting node for the content for the indexes. In your config file, where you have your indexset definition, set the property IndexParentId="xxx" where "xxx"! is the node id of the homepage of the site. So your index set definition might look like: 

<IndexSet  SetName="enSiteSearchIndexSet"  IndexPath="~/App_Data/TEMP/ExamineIndexes/enSiteSearch/"  IndexParentId="1090">

I think that should stop recycled things from appearing in the search results. If it doesn't, it could be that when stuff is getting recycled, the examine index isn't being updated properly....... let me know if that works.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Feb 26, 2013 @ 10:10
    Ismail Mayat

Jessica,

Sounds like you have indexing issue. When stuff is deleted it should be removed from index.  I take it this is for the backend search box? Can you check your umbracolog for any indexing errors.

Regards

Ismail

Feb 26, 2013 @ 10:22
    Jessica Nordbeck

Hi Tim

Thanks for a quick reply! I just tried the above, but it still seems to turn up in the search result :( I've republished the whole content tree and restarted the site in IIS. Could there be something else that must be reset?

Feb 26, 2013 @ 10:29
    Jessica Nordbeck

Hi Ismail

The issue is for the front end search, so our custom created provider. I looked in the umbracolog-table in the database, but there is no error type that seems to be related to Examine. Only entries like these: "[UmbracoExamine] (OKABWebsiteIndexer) Index is being optimized". 

Examine search is not really my area of expertise, so it could be that I'm missing something obvious... Here are the config-settings:

supportUnpublished="false"             
    supportProtected="true"            
    interval="10"            
    analyzer="Lucene.Net.Analysis.Standard.StandardAnalyzer, Lucene.Net" />
      <add name="OKABWebsiteSearcher" type="UmbracoExamine.UmbracoExamineSearcher, UmbracoExamine" analyzer="Lucene.Net.Analysis.Standard.StandardAnalyzer, Lucene.Net"/>

Feb 26, 2013 @ 10:52
    Ismail Mayat

Jessica,

That is weird. When item is deleted it should be removed from the index. Do you know if any GatheringNodeData events have been implemented? You will need to take a look at your website source code. Although thinking about it that event fires when you add / update items.

Regards

Ismail

Feb 26, 2013 @ 11:24
    Jessica Nordbeck

Hi Ismail

Yes, it is weird! :/ GatheringNodeData is not implemented explicity by us... but I guess that this shouldn't be needed.

Feb 26, 2013 @ 11:36
    Ismail Mayat

The only other thing i can suggest for a workaround is to update the search query so that it ignores anything with -1 in the path. Basically when an item is deleted its path is set to or contains -1 so if you update your query to ignore anything with -1 it should then ignore deleted items. Still does not get to bottom fo why its there in the first place!!!

Regards

Ismail

Feb 26, 2013 @ 11:49
    Jessica Nordbeck

yes, I was planning of doing something like that as a last solution, don't you just love that kind of hacks :)

thanks for the help :)

Feb 26, 2013 @ 12:16
    Tim

Jessica, I've got a dev site running on 4.7.2 here, I'll try and see if I can get it to do the same thing!

Feb 26, 2013 @ 16:33
    Tim

Yeah, on my version of 4.7.2, things that are recycled are correctly removed from the index. Have you moved the node there using the move menu option, or have the items been moved to the recycle bin using the delete menu option?

• Umair Hafeez Mughal 5 posts 25 karma points
    May 17, 2013 @ 13:04
    Umair Hafeez Mughal

I used the delete option to remove the nodes by they were still included in the search results ... for a temporary workaround, I called NiceUrl on each search result's Id property and it returns "#" for the deleted nodes ... by doing this, I can at least prevent the wrong items from displaying on the front end ...

Looking for a proper solution of this :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft