Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dmitrij Jazel 86 posts 179 karma points
    Mar 03, 2013 @ 21:04
    Dmitrij Jazel

How to create new Member Umbraco 6.0.1

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use Umbaco 6.0.1 rescent releas since there you could finally edit profile and .save() the changes.

So far everything works fine...

Except when I am trying to create new Member in C#.

I am currently using this code here to create it, it seams like it goes through (no exceptions or anything) but the member is not created.

//create new member
    var newmember = System.Web.Security.Membership.CreateUser(userName, password, email);
    var profile = ProfileBase.Create(userName);
    profile["name"] = name;
    profile["telephone"] = telephone;
    profile["age"] = age;
    profile.Save();           

Note I do have a Member type in umbraco - type is called: "BasicUser"

Profile works when I am edditing Existing members or if they are added through administration.

I can save and extract information from there.

So my problem here is when I run this code, new Member is not created (I cannot see him among members in administration > members).

Any suggestions?

//Dmitrij

• Charles Afford 1163 posts 1709 karma points
    Mar 03, 2013 @ 22:04
    Charles Afford

Hey Demitrij, pretty sure you have to call provider.EncodePassword(string password) first, i dont think the password is encoded when you execute CreateUser() thus it does not get saved to the database.  Hope this helps :)

Mar 04, 2013 @ 21:09
    Dmitrij Jazel

Hej Charlie :)

Allright, well this might help, but in my example I am not referencing "provider", and I can see in your example you are referencing it via "provider." and than calling EncodePassword() method on it... could you maybe provide a snippet for that? :)

//Dmitrij

Mar 04, 2013 @ 21:19
    Charles Afford

Hi, sorry igone that above :).  You simply need to use

Try using this to begin with and see it that works.  I can get this to work in Umbraco 4.11.1

Membership.CreateUser(userName, password, email);
    Charlie :)
    Mar 04, 2013 @ 21:24
    Charles Afford
    var newmember =System.Web.Security.Membership.CreateUser(userName, password, email);
    Pretty sure this is the problem. Just use Membership member = new Membership.CreateUser(userName, password, email);
    Hope this helps :)
    Mar 04, 2013 @ 22:52
    Dmitrij Jazel

Yea, well it gives some extra space to think :)

But aren't you supposed to use the membership class that I made (class is called "myMember")?

and in your example here you are suggesting to use this:

var newmember = System.Web.Security.Membership.CreateUser(userName, password, email);

but that is same as I am using... and it might be me, but I can't figure out where should I use the "provider", or how should I understand this one :)

I am sorry for this confusion, but I hope we can figure this one somehow :)))

Do we have some more suggestions? :(

//Dmitrij

Mar 06, 2013 @ 22:13
    Charles Afford

sorry :) yea that was a bit misleading, what you need to do is on the CreateUser method there is a parameter which i think is an out parameter for success.  If you put a string in this paramater and then have a look at it when debugging it will tell you why the user is not being created.  Charlie :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft