Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kris Dyson 54 posts 79 karma points
    Mar 11, 2013 @ 17:52
    Kris Dyson

Hosting Umbraco in a Windows Azure Cloud Service

Hi there, I have just upgraded my client's Umbraco installation to v6.0.2 and we want to now migrate it to a 2x node Windows Azure Cloud Service.  I have just finished implementing a new File System Provider by implementing IFileSystem.  I'm now able to use Blob storage for storing media.

However, I have noticed that the URLs to the existing media on the front-end are not updated; they appear to still point to the (now non-existent) ~/media directory. Also, in the Umbraco back-end, whenever I try to insert an image into the tinymce editor, it calls a webservice and errors:

/umbraco/controls/Images/ImageViewerUpdater.asmx/UpdateImage
    Message=The relative virtual path 'http:/127.0.0.1:10000/devstoreaccount1/umbraco/1001/favorite-32.png' is not allowed here.

Am I right in thinking Umbraco isn't yet ready for load balanced environments like Azure?

I had assumed now with the introduction of IFileSystem that Azure was now supported?  Maybe I have missed something else I need to do?

thanks

Kris

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 12, 2013 @ 17:32
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Kris,

I think you might find this thread useful http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/37103-Umbraco-on-multi-role-Azure-

Regards,

Jeavon

• Andreas Iseli 150 posts 427 karma points
    Mar 13, 2013 @ 14:46
    Andreas Iseli

Nice discussion within your thread. I'd like to shift to windows azure as well but I'm not certain yet if I should to it. Or if should wait for belle...

Mar 13, 2013 @ 14:56
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Andreas,

I would say unless you have a imploring reason to need Azure right now, I would recommend waiting for Concorde aka 'Umbraco as a service' which is built on top of Azure.

Regards,

Jeavon

Mar 13, 2013 @ 15:23
    Andreas Iseli

Hi Jeavon,

thanks for your answer. I currently have a website as test candidate and we ar looking for an apporpriate hosting environment. An inhouse hosting is not a solution. This is why I'm looking forward to use azure. Hope there will be more information about Concorde soon :)

Regards

Mar 13, 2013 @ 15:28
    Jeavon Leopold

Hey Andreas,

If you don't require multiple instance deployments then Azure Websites is ready to go with Umbraco native. http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/home/scenarios/web-sites/  It really only gets complicated (currently) when you need multiple instances.

Regards,

Jeavon

Mar 13, 2013 @ 15:35
    Andreas Iseli

I think currently one instance should be sufficient. I'll give it once a try witht the next update using the trial. It is just really hard to find the right pricing and sizing model to use for umbraco in azure.

A painful and never fully answerable question: Do you have some information what I should care about on azure?

Mar 13, 2013 @ 16:43
    Jeavon Leopold

If you are running the site locally have a look at how much memory the app pool is using in task manager and also see if there any specific CPU spikes when you are using the website.

If any of the following are true then you will need a reserved instance rather than shared for sure:

• Your site uses more than 512mb/hr memory
    • Your site requires more than 1GB disk storage
    • Your site requires more than 4hrs/day, 2.5 minutes of every 5 CPU usage (really hard to estimate)
    Best thing to do is use the free trial, get the site up and then use the monitoring to see http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/services/web-sites/how-to-monitor-websites/

If you do move onto reserved plan, then things become a lot clearer with VM sizes and obviously you can host multiple websites.
  • Steve Crabb 6 posts 106 karma points
    Mar 14, 2013 @ 17:09
    Steve Crabb

Hi Kris,

We are busy grappling with trying to get Azure blob storage to work. Would you be so kind as to share how you did it please? 

Regards

Steve

Edit ... No need Kris, we have imlplemented it already. I will post the code when it's tidied up.  

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft