Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tom 4 posts 24 karma points
    Mar 21, 2013 @ 20:51
    Tom

Examine search - Synonyms and weighting

Hi All,

We are working on a project that requires a lot of flexibility in terms of searching and indexing and the ability to tag content items with certain keywords, this is all quite easy out of the box.

However our client needs the ability to be able to add a list of words or phrases with weighting applied so that when one of those keywords or phrases is searched for, certain documents appear in the results that may not have those keywords applied (does that make sense?) or even redirects under certain keywords

A couple of examples might be

Search for "help" and the site redirects to a help page

Search for "clothing" and the search term is extended to "clothes"

The idea behind this would also extend to having the site pick up common spelling mistakes. 

In the past I've worked with systems such as the Google Mini and FredHopper which both have these concepts so I was wondering if Umbraco and Examine have these out of the box.

My initial thought is that we would have a Repository Node (outside of the site root) which would have a collection of search terms and their settings (e.g. redirect, weighting, replace with etc), then when we query the examine index, we go and check to see if we have any keywords that will apply and then build up an examine query (boost etc) however I wasn't sure if this would be a performance hit becasue we would be iterating over content and doing all sorts of lookups and what not which may (or may not) affect performance.

If this isn't possible out of the box, I'm quite interested in making a package for this functionality as I think others may find it quite useful so if you have a suggestion I'd be really grateful to hear them,

Thanks,

Tom

• Gerhard Grossberger 54 posts 178 karma points
    Nov 23, 2020 @ 17:07
    Gerhard Grossberger

Hey, this is a pretty old thread, but I have the same topic.

Is it possible to provide a list of synonyms to lucene, same way I can do this in SOLR? I couldnĀ“t find anything in the documentation or on the web about this topic.

Best, Gerhard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft