Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew Hunt 13 posts 35 karma points
    Apr 14, 2013 @ 22:15
    Matthew Hunt

Umbraco Azure Websites - Multiple Instances

Hi all,

I'm working on a phone app and have an umbraco backend for the data feed. We are expecting somewhere between 10k and 200k requests an hour for a short period and will need to scale our services and servers up for this period. I've read a lot of articles now and everything says that we need to set the host names in umbracoSettings.config of all of the Umbraco instances so they can stay in sync.

The problem comes with the fact that we are using an Azure website, we can spin up instances on demand, but we don't see the ip or host name of each instance, we can just see the load balanced address. We cannot change from this hosting solution either.

The one solution I had was to have some kind of service hosted separately that holds a list of instance names and on app start each Umbraco instance would register itself and then get a list of other servers. This solutions though relies on one of two things as far as I can tell:

1) There's an Umbraco API that can edit umbracoSettings.config or add servers to the distributedCall section be it in memory or edit the actual file.

2) I can find an event that I can hook into before the umbracoSettings.config file is read in the app lifecycle and edit it adding in a list of instance hostnames

If anyone has any viable ideas I'd love to hear them.

• Matthew Hunt 13 posts 35 karma points
    Apr 15, 2013 @ 10:00
    Matthew Hunt

Ok discount 2) as this would mean editing the list of servers on each of the instances while they were running.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft