Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen 94 posts 255 karma points
    Apr 17, 2013 @ 19:26
    Stephen

Is dual member authentication possible?

Hi Everyone,

I hope I have this in the correct area (this time).

I have been reading for a while now about custom logins etc. But I have not come across anything exactly matching what I am looking to do.  I just want to be sure I can do it, and I am not heading off in the wrong direction.

This appears to be close: http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/5378-Dual-Membership-providers

I basically have a dual membership model, in other words I need to run two authentication systems (sharepoint and Umbraco) against different databases to authenticate members to the site for the same access across the site.

What I technically need to do is as follows:

-------------

Test user agains Sahrepoint login (using Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) and SOAP)

If fail then

Test user against Umbraco members

--------------

I will basically have to share my session cookie with the Sharepoint server, so anyone authenticated via sharepoint, will not need to login a second time if they go to sharepoint.

Other than that I don't need to do many clever things, they basically access the same data etc will be a few pages where they need to access different links but that's about it.

The problems I have seen with most of what I have read is that when you use a 3rd party authentication system this effectively renders Umbraco system useless.

Can someone please confirm if they think what I am trying to do about is achievable or not please.  If you can point me to any examples that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Stephen

• Stephen 94 posts 255 karma points
    Apr 23, 2013 @ 23:06
    Stephen

Can someone please confirm for me I am asking this in the correct place?

Thanks

Stephen

• keilo 568 posts 1023 karma points
    Jun 24, 2014 @ 13:08
    keilo

Hi Stephen

I am not sure if its the correct place but I came across your post while researching alternate membership authentication in v7.

Have you managed to figure out the WCF based authentication as an alternate method?  I cant seem to find a simple example that shows how to get it going in a sample VS project. Do you mind sharing your findings?

cheers

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft