Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Nyqvist 5 posts 25 karma points
    Apr 24, 2013 @ 10:47
    David Nyqvist

A/B testing with two structures

Hi!

I'm having a problem when trying to A/B test certain nodes in my node-tree in Umbraco. What I want to do is to copy a node in the node-tree to a specific spot and use that B-structure to see which of the structures works best, using Google analytics.

For example we have two node structures, let's call them "Private" and "Sweden". Their structure with childnodes and properties are exactly the same. The only difference between them is the propertyvalues (content). The "Private"-URL is www.mysite.com/Private and the "Sweden"-URL is www.mysite.com/Sweden.

What I would like to do is to change every link on the B-structure, so that it points to its match at the A-structure. The problem is that since it's two different structures, it will have two different alternative links.

With other words, it should be a coinsidence that it enters the B-structure, then be moved back to the A-structure in the next click.

We manage what page it should load (either the A-node or the B-node) with scripts, so that it has a 50% chance for each node, and if it lands on the B-node, Google analytics will save data. What we can't manage is that every link on that page will be to the A-node.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Regards,

David

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Apr 24, 2013 @ 10:53
    Rich Green

Hey David,

Welcome to the forum!

To be honest, I'm stuggling to understand what you're trying to achieve, maybe a picture of your content tree would help?

The only thing I can suggest is have a look at Alttemplate http://www.nibble.be/?p=42

Rich

Apr 24, 2013 @ 11:14
    David Nyqvist

Hello Rich,

Thank you very much!

What I'm trying to do is create two almost identical structures with properties and that uses the same templates.
    The properties and templates should be the same. The difference between them is the values for the properties.

The difference that should be between the two structures is the propertyvalues.
    When the user enters the page I use a script that has a 50% chance to land on the node in the A structure and a 50% chance to land on the node in the B structure.
    In this way I can follow the users actions using Google Analytics and see which structure works best and therefore might change my propertyvalues in one way or another.

If the user lands on the B-node and clicks a link on that page, I would like him/her to return back to the A-structure again (or to the B-structure depending on if I have put the 50/50 script on that page). But since I'm using two different structures, the alternative link will point to the B-structure for every link on the B-node the user lands on, which I do not want.

Here's a picture of the structure

Let's say the user lands on "Kontakt" in the B-structure. And from this page clicks on "Nyheter" in the top navigation menu, I want it to land on "Nyheter" on the A-structure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this will be possible using the alttemplate solution?

Please ask more if you don't understand me.

Regards,
    David 

Apr 26, 2013 @ 10:54
    David Nyqvist

We finally came to the final decision to use the alternative template-solution. Since there seem to be no generic solution for my case of this problem we had to create an alternative template with specific macros to render the different information for every documenttype we're using.

Creating dynamic links for every page is a hell of a job in this stage in the project, since there are so many pages and links. Also some links are made in javascript, so there's another problem.

I copied the a-structure to another node, only for the reason to be able to change propertyvalues. There might be a problem logging and track the information with Google Analytics though, so that's the next step for us in this project. In our alternative templates we're getting the propertyvalues from the b-structure.

Still, if anyone have some better solution I'd highly appreciate it!

Regards, David

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft