Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Miller 13 posts 36 karma points
    May 13, 2013 @ 06:39
    Simon Miller

Custom routes with child pages

Hi There,

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to how to achieve this:

I have a node of type Category. It has one property, a multi-node picker called 'products'. I am doing it this way because a product can be in multiple categories and are stored elsewhere in the Umbraco tree. 

The Umbraco admin can make many of these categories:

/gift-store
    /shits-and-pants
    etc.

The URL structure I want it to be:

/category-node-url/product-url

Obviously as the products are not children of the category, the default routes do not work. If the category names were fixed, I could easily make a custom route for "category-name/{product-name}", however, the categories can be defined in the Umbraco back-end.

Ideally I want to be able to create a custom route that worked something like this: "{CategoryNodeTypeAlias}/{product-name}" i.e. anything below a Category get's passed to a custom controller for processing.

Any ideas?

Cheers
    Simon 

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jun 26, 2013 @ 01:09
    Funka!

Hi Simon,

I know this reply is over a month old from your original question, but take a look at this thread which describes one way to do this using a custom NotFoundHandler. There are also other suggestions there about using an IIS Rewrite Rule, and in v6.1+ how you can implement your own "ContentFinder" which supposedly would allow you to do this.

One thing I am coming to the realization/conclusion on, however, is that you want to avoid custom routes as they escape the entire umbraco pipeline and you won't be able to do anything umbraco-related if you try to go this route. (Pun intended.)

Good luck to you! Sorry no one else was able to help you in a more timely manner but hopefully you got something figured out.

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jun 26, 2013 @ 01:15
    Funka!

Sorry, I linked the wrong thread there in my previous reply. This is the one I was thinking of and had meant to link. (Although I think both are relevent?)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft