Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Karas 9 posts 30 karma points
    Jul 05, 2013 @ 18:51
    Peter Karas

Grouping members into subscription packages

Hi,

I'm writing an application that needs to support subscription packages. These are groups of people that all subscribe to a login for a site collectively (company subscription).

When the package subscripiton is not renewed those groups need to be excluded from access to the site.

My first thoughts where to use member groups, but you cant store properties against those groups, so there is nowhere to store the subscription end date.

I also thought using a custom membership provider, to allow me to add logic to the decision as to wether someone is part of a group that is active, but again there is nowhere to store information about the validity of the group.

I can think of ways to do this (custom tables etc.), but none of then are elegant and I cant help thinking I'm not making best use of existing features.

Any tips or comments would be really helpful,

Thanks in advance

• Kevin Jump 2311 posts 14697 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 06, 2013 @ 00:33
    Kevin Jump

You could add a MultiNodeTreepicker property to your member type   

then when you create a user you can assign them a node in the content tree. this node could contain all your subscription information. 

programatically at run time you could get the node ID from the member property, then read the values from the content node. 

then your subsciption information is still controllable from umbraco without any new tables. 

_ Kevin 

• Peter Karas 9 posts 30 karma points
    Jul 06, 2013 @ 15:18
    Peter Karas

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the idea. I had actually started to use a new table for this, but your right I could create a new doc type to hold this information. In this way it would be acting as a kind of a grouping for the members.

Thanks again for sharing this,

Regards

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft