Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• John 79 posts 115 karma points
    Aug 12, 2013 @ 10:36
    John

Breaking our site is too easy in Umbraco 6.1.1

We have been working on an upgrade of our site from 4.7.1 to 6.1.1 and we have had a couple of instances whereby the site has appeared to work but has broken under test - and stayed broken.  (By "under test" we have something running against our nightly that requests vairous pages and checks the results.)

Resolution is not frozen, it is not yet possible to get values from it. - this was caused by an event handler that we had that was running in Application_Starting not Application_Started.  (To do with Examine.)

The website is restarting - this happened because I had accidentally set a MNTP pre-value without a slash at the start (which was a result of me having to manually reconfigure everything after the upgrade failed to carry across the pre-values).  The only way I could figure it out was to do a data compare between all tables in two our our databases.

Anyway in both cases the core issue was our fault, but the thing that concerns me is that some very small, subtle things can occur during startup that can completely break the site - and not only that but in really obscure ways.  Also finding these issues can be tricky - without our tests I don't know when we would have noticed.  (The 2nd of these took me days to debug - although that was partly caused by my inability to get the Umbraco 6 source to compile and the fact that it crippled my dev environment when trying - although that's something for another day!)  It it happened in live we would be in trouble.

I'm wondering if anyone work is going on in these areas to make the site more robust?  (I haven't yet upgraded to 6.1.3 because the upgrade to 6 has taken so much longer than expected that we are a bit behind schedule.)

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Aug 12, 2013 @ 12:05
    Jeroen Breuer

Hi,

You have some very good feedback here. Maybe you could create issues for them here: http://issues.umbraco.org/dashboard#newissue=yes

Jeroen

• John 79 posts 115 karma points
    Aug 19, 2013 @ 11:55
    John

Sorry to ignore your reply - just been a bit snowed under the last few days.  I will create issues for the above once I've had a chance to think about how best to separate them out.  (IE not sure if there are some specific changes for things like MNTP but also maybe some more general ones like dealing with issues on startup).

• julius 107 posts 289 karma points
    Nov 14, 2013 @ 13:28
    julius

Just bumped into the Resolution is not frozen, it is not yet possible to get values from it error too and I have absolutely no clue where it came from. It seems completely random and I have seen it just once, haven't changed any code since and haven't seen the error since either.

I am not using any plugins, third party stuff or events. I am just reading nodes and displaying them. I do use the content service for that. 

• Daniel Portella 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 15:11
    Daniel Portella

Hello 

I am experiencing the same sort of behaviour on our site where we see the Resolution is not frozen, it is not yet possible to get values from it. and we have constant server restarts.

What is the link for the issues created ?

• Daniel Portella 2 posts 22 karma points
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 15:22
    Daniel Portella

I found a ticket related to this issue but it doesnt seem to resolved.

Sounds like its the way you use xslt and some events on the site.

Issue u4-2174

http://issues.umbraco.org/issues/U4?p=0&q=Resolution+is+not+frozen%2C+it+is+not+yet+possible+to+get+values+from+it.#issueid=U4-2174

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft